Archive for March, 2011
Born in 1984, Matt Mullenweg is a very young entrepreneur who is the mastermind behind WordPress. He was born in Houston, Texas and is now on the list of Top 25 Most Influential People on the Web according to Business Week. If that’s not enough, he’s made PC World’s list for Top 50 People on the Web and Inc.com’s list of 30 Under 30. He did all this before many people even finish school or move out of their parent’s house.
Career History by Year
Although you may simply associate his name and immediately think of all the brilliant and helpful WordPress themes for small businesses that are available, there is a lot more to his career and how he got to where is today.
- 2002 – Matt Mullenweg was part of the National Fed Challenge, an academic competition for high school students where he contributed codes for cleaner permalinks and typographic entities. He was using b2/cafelog blogging software to showcase photos from the trip but b2 ended several month after.
- 2003 – Matt announced on his blog that he intended on bringing the software up to date to accommodate his needs and he was contacted right away by Mike Little to work with him. Their plan was to use the b2 codebase to create WordPress. Michael Valdrighi, b2 developer joined in to help. At this time, Matt was attending The University of Houston and only 19 years old.
- 2004 – Working with Tantek Celik and Eric Meyer, Global Multimedia Protocols Group was founded, offering the first microformats. In April, he paired up with Dougal Campbell and they launched Ping-O-Matic to notify search engines of blog updates. Later, in October, Matt was recruited to work on WordPress by CNET. He made the decision to drop out of college and make the move to San Francisco. Just two months later in December, he announced bbPress, something he designed from scratch over the holidays.
- 2005 – This is the year that really acknowledges Matt. The WordPress team and himself released WordPress 1.5 which quickly had 900,000 downloads and an endless number of people eager to learn how to set-up WordPress site. Later that year in October, Matt announced he wanted to solely focus on WordPress full-time so he would be leaving CNET. In November, WordPress was no longer invite-only, welcoming the world to join in on the success.
- 2006 – Matt recruited Toni Schneider, former Oddpost CEO to join his small team named Automattic, bringing the staff to a whopping six people. His investors were CNET, Radar Partners, Trive Ventures and Polaris Ventures.
- 2007 – PC World ranked him number 16 out of 50 in their list of Important People on the Web. He acquired Gravatar in October, a service to enable users to upload an avatar and there was also rumor that there was $200 million offer to buy Automattic which he turned down.
- 2008 – Matt became a likeable figure this year. Despite his success, it was noted that he was still driving an old Chevy Lumina and he wore a Fight Club t-shirt for his photo shoot with Linux Journal, making him appear a bit more human. Automattic now had 18 employees and he was ranked in Inc. Magazines 30 Under 30 list.
Today Matt Mullenweg is the force behind Automattic, WordPress, Gravatar, Akismet, VaultPress, Polldaddy, IntenseDebate, Plinky, P2, After the Deadline and VIP. He has also founded Audrey Capital, a company to helps innovative ideas grow.
About the Author
Don Campbell lives in Silicon Valley where he works with small business owners to help them create WordPress websites that get noticed by search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing. He opened his business, Expand2Web in January 2008 and when he’s not busy helping customers everyday on the web or hanging out at the Google campus, he enjoys the beauty of California.
- WordPress Plugins
- WordPress Themes
- How to Make a Website
- How Much Is Google Worth?
- Sell Artwork Online
- Best Internet Hosting Company
- Career Builder Courses
One of the popular names and well-known faces in fitness today belongs to Tony Horton. Born in Westerly, Rhode Island on July 2nd, 1958, he is the man behind Power 90 Extreme, a home exercise system developed in conjunction with Beachbody. Despite the fact that he always wanted to be an actor, it became clear in the 1980s that fitness was his calling.
Getting Into Exercise
If you have searched online for a Bowflex dumbbells review, Tony Horton’s name probably comes up quite often because his program is literally the talk of the fitness world but he certainly wasn’t always known as this exercise guru. Horton moved to Los Angeles to pursue his acting career and even paid his bills as a standup comedian for a while.
Horton started working out in Venice, California at World Gym where professional body builders such as Lou Ferrigno and Arnold Schwarzenegger worked out. He never had the desire to have all that bulging muscle but he did want to be as physically fit as possible so he concentrated on exercise routines that would build strong muscles while improving speed, balance and flexibility. Horton later was introduced to the idea of interval training by Mark Sisson, taking his workouts to an extreme level.
During this time, Horton established ASH Fitness after he had worked as a personal trainer. Here his client list consisted of names such as Stevie Nicks, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Idol, Lindsey Buckingham and Tom Petty. When he was asked to create a workout DVD series, Horton designed Power 90.
Power 90 Extreme
Chances are, if you are looking for a P90X review, you can find thousands of them. This program is popular for two good reasons, it is extreme and it works! P90X focuses on muscle confusion which is basically a method of periodization and cross-training by switching the order in which exercises are done and adding variations. This shocks the body so rather than your body getting used to your typical routine and reaching a plateau, it burns fat and builds muscle every time.
P90X is a program designed for 90 days that combines cardio, stretching, strength training, plyometrics and yoga. It comes with a fitness plan, nutrition guide, calendar and of course, a collection of DVDs that enables you to workout in the privacy of your own home.
The 13-week program requires you to workout 6 days per week using one of the scheduled 12 available workouts. These exercise routines are mostly under one hour long and target different muscles and skills.
- Chest and Back – Biceps, triceps, pectorals, back
- Plyometrics – Full body, primarily legs
- Shoulders and Arms – Biceps, triceps, shoulders
- Yoga X – Full body
- Legs and Back – Back, calves, quadriceps, hamstrings
- Kenpo X – Full body
- X Stretch – Full body
- Core Synergistic – Full body
- Chest, Shoulders and Triceps – Pectorals, shoulders, triceps
- Back and Biceps – Back, biceps
- Cardio X – Full body
- Ab Ripper X – Core, abdominals
Horton also provides a detailed meal plan to follow with the program that is made up of three phases, switching back and forth between high carbohydrates and protein. The P90X requires dumbbells, exercise mat, pullup bar, sturdy chair and yoga blocks.
- What Is the P90X Workout?
- Medication Side Effects
- The Zone Diet
- Health Insurance Cost
- Health Coverage Tax Credit
- What Is BMI?
- What Is an Exercise Treadmill Test?
Founded in 1936, Government Employees Insurance Company, otherwise known as GEICO, is one of the most popular insurance companies in the country, thanks to their great rates and memorable ad campaigns. Leo and Lillian Goodwin set out to provide federal government employees as well as their families with insurance. Such an audience was targeted because it was assumed they would be a less risky group. Today, GEICO is known as the company to turn to for affordable coverage regardless if you’re a federal government employee or not.
History of GEICO
Despite the company starting as a very small, private organization, it grew faster than anyone could have ever anticipated. By 1948, Lorimer Davidson, an investment banker helped expansion by joining the company and by 1964, they had already exceeded 1 million policyholders. In 1980, GEICO introduced their 24-hour telephone customer service they are so well-known for and by the year 2000, everyone’s favorite gecko had joined the team to participate in their ad campaigns.
Of course, who could forget the GEICO Cavemen campaign convincing viewers just how easy it was to get free car insurance quotes. At the end of 2010, GEICO had more than 10 million policyholders! All this from a kind couple who started a small business for themselves.
Types of Insurance Providers – Rates and Coverage
About the only thing the GEICO website doesn’t provide is health insurance quotes online but they certainly cover everything else. Aside from your automobiles, below are other types of insurance GEICO can help you out with.
- Motorcycles – Regardless if you have a standard, cruiser, sport bike, touring bike or one that’s custom made, they take motorcycle coverage seriously. They even have scooter insurance available.
- Boat – Whether your boat is in the water, at dock or on your trailer, you want quality insurance. GEICO even has winter lay-up available for dry dock season.
- ATV – GEICO offers flex payments and online claim reporting to keep your trail riding fun, safe and affordable.
- RV – Campers, travel trailers and motor homes fall under this category too. You can get a discount on your rate if your automobile is also insured with them and you have completed a recent defensive driver course.
- Homeowners – Your home is worth protecting. GEICO offers a large variety of policies to fill the needs of anyone.
- Renters – Just because you don’t own a home doesn’t mean you don’t have to protect your personal belongings.
- Mobile Home – These policies are similar to homeowner insurance but GEICO customizes them specifically for the needs of mobile homes.
- Life Insurance – Making sure your family is financially secure should something happen to you, is one of GEICO’s specialties.
- Flood Insurance – It is proven time and time again that anyone can deal with flood damage. GEICO keeps this coverage affordable for you.
- Overseas Insurance – Regardless if you are moving or vacationing overseas, GEICO eliminates the hassle of getting your vehicle or property insured.
- Commercial Auto Insurance – GEICO takes the guesswork and frustration out of buying commercial auto insurance and they allow you to manage your account 24/7.
- Identity Theft – Maybe you aren’t even aware that this type of coverage exists but GEICO understands the importance of being protected and even provides six credit reports per year.
GEICO is a company who has gotten where they are today because of great coverage, affordable rates and exceptional customer service. They take the confusion and anxiety out of buying any type of insurance by making their policies easy to understand.
About the Author
Laura Penekamp is a stay at home mom with three wonderful kids who are now finally all old enough for a full day of school. She is a freelance writer and now that she has a quiet house during the day, has become quite productive. Laura loves to save money and has learned through the years how to understand insurance policies to ensure she’s not paying for something she doesn’t need.
- Who Invented Car Insurance?
- Motorcycle Insurance Costs
- Is It Illegal to Drive without Car Insurance?
- Buying Car Insurance
- Online Auto Insurance
- Fastest Motorcycle in the World
- Cheap Car Insurance
George Jacob Mecherle, a retired insurance salesman and farmer founded State Farm in 1922. Today they insure more homes and cars than any other insurance company in the United States and are quickly becoming a top contender in Canada as well. State Farm is a mutual company that is owned by its policyholders and ranked 34 on the prestigious Fortune 500 list.
Mecherle simply wanted to do things right and fair, treating customers like a neighbor, a vision still true today. State Farm began originally, strictly as an automobile insurance company, offering only a single line. Today they offer almost 100 services and products spread across 5 different types of businesses. They have proven time and time again that they are more than committed to their customers which is all Mecherle ever wanted. In fact, they handle on average close to 35,000 claims everyday. Due to their reputation for being so efficient, they are one of the first choices individuals turn to who are looking for free car insurance quotes.
Products and Services
- Automobile – As you would expect from a company with such a reputable history, State Farm will put you in a policy that accommodates your needs. Automobile coverage protects you, your fellow drivers, passengers, pedestrians and property.
- Homeowners – State Farm’s claim network is one of the world’s largest and is accessible 24/7. They even offer discounts for safety items like smoke alarms, burglar alarms, fire extinguishers and deadbolts.
- Renters – For less than one dollar per day, State Farm can cover your property and provide peace of mind.
- Health – If you are looking for health insurance quotes online, State Farm probably offers exactly what you need in one of their many polices. Individuals, Medicare Supplemental, Prescription and Hospital Income Coverage are polices suited for everyone.
- Boat – Risks with boats include sinking, fire, storms, theft, capsizing, stranding, collision and explosion. State Farm boat insurance can cover not just the property but accessories as well.
- Disability – State Farm understands that when you can’t work, you still have bills that need paying. Disability insurance protects you as well as your family against severe financial hardship.
- Business – There are always risks involved with starting your own business but State Farm makes them a little less scary. Their agents understand the diverse needs of every business owner and can build a plan according to your needs.
- Long-term Care – These policies help you to pay for care that you need when the time comes. Long-term expenses can quickly deplete finances for your family.
State Farm also covers condo owners, life and annuities, farm and ranch, flood, personal, motorcycle, volcano damage and community organizations. Not to mention, whether you are a policyholder or not, they provide mutual plans and everyday banking and loans.
About the Author
Laura Penekamp knows a thing or two about saving money considering she’s a mom of three. Being a freelance writer, she has discovered that the right insurance policies not only save you money but protect everything that is important to you. Laura feels this information is important to be aware of which is why she shares it with as many people as possible.
- Who Invented Car Insurance?
- Motorcycle Insurance Costs
- Is It Illegal to Drive without Car Insurance?
- Buying Car Insurance
- Online Auto Insurance
- Fastest Motorcycle in the World
- Cheap Car Insurance
Weight Watchers is a name that has been synonymous losing weight and getting fit for years now. So it should come as no surprise to find out that there are millions of people that swear by this program as a great way to lose weight. A lot of people may wonder where Weight Watchers got its start; so here we’ll have a look at where the company came from and how they are doing nowadays.
It was at this date in Queens, NY that Jean Neditch first conceived of what would eventually become Weight Watchers. Jean weighed about 214 pounds and had tried all the fad diets, none of which stuck. As had always happened before, Jean soon discovered that her willpower to stick with her current diet was slipping; she knew that she was not going to stick with this diet. Something had to be done.
So Jean called some friends and admitted to each and every one of them that she was obsessed with cookies. During these conversations, she discovered that all her friends had their own food obsessions. Jean and her friends then organized weekly meetings to talk about their love of food and their various cravings.
Word spread throughout the neighbourhood and before the group knew it membership had grown to 40 people. It was a groundbreaking hit. Two of attendees, Felice and Albert Lippert, commented that she should start holding the meetings in a bigger, commercial location.
From Hobby to Business
A year and a half after Jean and her friends started meeting in her apartment Weight Watchers was professionally born. Jean held the first pro meeting in a loft in New York City. Jean didn’t advertise and had 50 RSVP. Instead of 50 showing up, Jean got 400. Word had gotten out. Jean did the best she could and held meetings for 50 folks at a time.
Jean’s attendees then began opening Weight Watchers franchises the world over. They kept up with modern diet discoveries and implemented a psychologist-designed behavioural aspect to the program, lending them further credibility. They were also one of the first diet programs to add an exercise component in 1978.
Success/Buyout & Weight Watchers Today
In 1978, Jean’s onetime little company was bought by the H.J. Heinz Company, which sent it into the stratosphere. With this parent company, Weight Watchers was able to reach even more folks and eventually grew into the company we know today.
These days, Weight Watchers has a comprehensive plan to suit everyone. Here’s a little look.
- The Meetings – Just like in the old days, Weight Watchers still has meetings where folks can get together and talk to professionals and each other about weight loss and fitness.
- Online Service – This Weight Watchers plan is perfect for those dieters that can’t or simply don’t want to get together with other people in person. It manages to do this and still offer the same kind of social support system that Weight Watchers is known for.
- PointsPlus – This diet program is an integral part of all Weight Watchers plans and lets you track what you eat with points instead of counting calories and the like. All the work is done for you.
Is Weight Watchers for Me?
Only you have the answer to that question, but most have found Weight Watchers fitting after reading a Nutrisystem meal replacement plan review that made them decide against it or had a Medifast promotion that wasn’t for them. Just give it a try!
About the Author
Melissa Cameron is a married homemaker with two children. She enjoys spending time with her family, digital photography, and learning about new things. Her latest passion is getting in shape, losing a few pounds, and improving upon the eating habits of her family at the same time.
- LA Weight Loss
- Effective Weight Loss Solutions
- Healthy Diets that Work
- CVS Coupons
- Diets that Work Fast
- The Zone Diet
- The South Beach Diet
Home Gallery Stores is a family-owned furniture store who has been in the business of providing quality products at exceptional prices since 1913. Lee Krumbein, who is the current President of the business, is the son to Nathaniel, who helped his father (along with his two brothers), build the company to the impressive success that it is today.
Why Home Gallery Stores Are So Successful
There are many reasons why Home Gallery Stores have remained a top-rated choice for home furnishings for nearly a century. This is a company that started out as a small dream in Goldsboro, North Carolina and quickly became the most popular furniture store in South Carolina and Virginia too. Thanks to the internet and the popularity of online ordering, the entire country can enjoy their stunning pieces and superb customer service.
So, why is Home Gallery Stores still so popular? Lee runs the business the same way his grandfather did so many years ago. The company still only deals with manufacturers who they have a strong relationship with and trust to stand behind their product, regardless if it’s a dining room set, living room furniture or a small piece of wall decor.
Home Gallery Stores guarantees customer satisfaction which is a huge reason why families have continued to make their purchases from them through many generations. They understand how hard consumers work for their money and they want to offer the best deal possible. They are not in the habit of charging double the cost like many other furniture stores do. Quite often, they simply price items just over cost to cover their expenses and that’s it because they want you to get the best deal. In fact, they are so confident in their pricing, product and customer service that they still offer the same money back guarantee they always have.
Home Gallery Stores Products
From entertainment wall units to cribs, Home Gallery Stores has it all. You’ll find items for every room in your home in styles such as contemporary, traditional, country, coastal, rustic, tropical, and safari. Only the top manufacturers bring you accent chairs, tables, baker’s racks, bar stools, bistro tables, beds, benches, bookcases, china cabinets, sofas, desks, futons, kitchen island carts, recliners, outdoor furniture, tables, room dividers, cribs, changing tables, rugs and a whole lot more. You will even find more than 1,000 American made products!
About the Author
Melissa Cameron is married with two children. She loves digital photography, running, Pilates and spending time with her family. When it came time to buy a few new furniture pieces, they trusted Home Gallery Stores as her parents have in the past and they were incredibly pleased with their shopping experience. Melissa and her husband will continue to ship at Home Gallery Stores in the future.
- Nebraska Furniture Mart Coupons
- Bathroom Furniture
- Storkcraft Furniture for Children
- Rent to Own Furniture
- Crate and Barrel Coupons
- Carolina Cottage Furniture
- Home Gallery Stores
With the economic times being what they are people having less discretionary income to spend, entertaining at home has become an attractive alternative to going out for a night on the town. If you have a group of friends over or you just spend the evening with your significant other staying home can be just as satisfying as the nightlife in the big city.
If you’re one of those people who truly enjoys entertaining at home you really should consider buying or building a wet bar to make your entertainment space even more enjoyable. Having a wet bar is not only convenient; its presence lends a certain festive atmosphere to your home.
Wet bars and mini bars
Certainly anyone who has ever stayed in a hotel knows what a wet bar is. Usually they are in the room and provide the lodger with an attractive selection of expensive spirits and incredibly overpriced nuts. However what makes it a “wet” bar is the fact that there is a sink and faucet built in. Without the plumbing it is considered a “dry” bar.
Those hotel bars are normally pretty small and that’s understandable given the limited space in a hotel room and the fact that only one or two people will be using the bar. However if you decide to add one of these entertainment essentials to your home, you’ll have to take into consideration a number of things to get the best use of your wet bar.
- The first consideration is where to place the bar. It has to be in an area where a waterline and drain can be easily installed. Once that spot has been identified you’ll need to decide on how much space you have available and create your ideal dimensions for the unit.
- Wet bars can be purchased completely finished, or in kits or if you’re handy and have the space to work you can build your own. Typically they are constructed of wood or stainless steel or a combination. Unlike the hotels who seem to all buy from the same manufacturer, there is a huge selection of styles and finishes to choose from and picking one will be your biggest challenge.
- When selecting a wet bar model consider adding a mini refrigerator as a built in. You’ll find that having a place to keep beer, wine and mixes chilled keeps you behind the bar serving guests and enjoying yourself instead of running off to the kitchen to fetch another bottle of tonic.
- Another feature to consider when choosing a wet bar is the bar’s surface. There are going to be spills and people are going to leave wet glasses on top of the bar so you want a material that is water and stain resistant. Stainless steel is a good choice but you can also use a laminated material.
- Make sure you have adequate storage for your supply of spirits and all the gadgets and goodies that a good bar needs like corkscrews, napkins, shakers and those cute little umbrella toothpicks.
As a final touch dress up your wet bar with some comfortable seating. You can use ordinary kitchen stools or class it up with something like Hillsdale bar stools. Having seating in front of the bar invites your guests to come a sit for a while. It’s actually a good ice breaker if you are entertaining somebody new.
An attractive wet bar will not only make your entertaining more enjoyable, it can actually add value to your home if you decide to sell. The presence of a wet bar says this house is a fun place to live and makes the house even more attractive.
David Dawson lives in Boston with his wife and three kids and absolutely loves spending time entertaining at home. A full time organic chemist, David has turned his passion for home entertainment into a part time job by creating a website dedicated to home entertainment tips and products.
Founded in 1931, Allstate was originally part of the well-known Sears, Roebuck & Co., but became a completely independent company in 1995. For over 75 years, agency owners and Allstate leaders revolutionized the way that vehicle claims are handled. They fought to make seat belt laws mandatory and played a key role in making consumers aware of the benefits of airbags back in the 1980s. Allstate is the largest insurance company in the nation.
Allstate is a Fortune 100 company who sells 13 lines of major insurance and they also offer banking services and investment and retirement products. Allstate is committed to helping customers plan for their future by protecting what they have and preparing for tomorrow. In fact, over 16 million households look to Allstate for their services and everyday, drivers from across the country turn to them for free car insurance quotes.
Your Choice Auto
One of the things that makes Allstate stand out from the rest is that they reward you for your safe driving habits. With Your Choice Auto, you receive rewards such as:
- Accident Forgiveness – Accidents are just that, accidents! Why should your rates go up just because you have one little fender bender? That’s kind of ridiculous and Allstate agrees. They can actually keep your rates the same, even if the accident was your fault.
- New Car Replacement – There is nothing worse than totaling a car, especially a new one. If your new car happens to be totaled within the first three years, Allstate will replace it with a vehicle of depreciated value.
- Deductible Rewards – When you sign up for Your Choice Auto you get $100 reduced from your collision deductible. Then, you get this same reward for every year you are accident-free, up to a $500 value.
- Safe Driving Bonus – Every six months that you go without any accidents, you receive a check for a Safe Driving Bonus that can total up to five percent of what you typically pay for your premium.
While shopping for health insurance quotes online can be confusing, buying car insurance certainly doesn’t have to be. Especially when you learn about Allstate’s exceptional roadside service. When they say you’re in good hands with them, they mean it. Allstate offers three different plans to choose from:
- Allstate Motor Club – This plan is open to anyone so you don’t have to have your vehicle insured with them to purchase this type of roadside coverage. There are family and individual membership options available and you don’t have to have an invoice to receive reimbursement. Services include towing, tire change, jump-start, lockout, refueling, trip-planning, travel discounts, legal defense and arrest bond cards.
- Good Hands Roadside – Once again, anyone can purchase this coverage, not just current policyholders and it will cover up to five vehicles and five registered drivers. It covers $75 per tow and $50 for other services including tire change, jump-start, lockout and refueling.
- Towing Labor Coverage – This service is only available to Allstate policyholders. It applies to the vehicle on the policy and Allstate will pay whatever the limit amount is set at including towing, tire change, jump-start, lockout and refueling.
Allstate understands that whether you are a policyholder with them or not, you want to be protected on the road which is why they offer Allstate Motor club and Good Hands Roadside. Now, wherever you go, you can have peace of mind knowing you’re in good hands.
About the Author
Laura Penekamp is a mother of three who loves history and writing so she is fortunate to be able to stay at home and work as a freelance writer. Being a mom on a budget, she is always looking for a way to save money and has learned that choosing the right insurance coverage can certainly be helpful.
The 1970s through the 1980s was a time of plenty for the weight loss and fitness industries. A fad diet was born every time you turned around and we all went out and bought an exercise mat. Dr. William Vitale, on the other hand, tried something different. In 1980, Dr. Vitale created a diet plan one could only get prescribed from their doctor called Medifast.
In the Beginning
Medifast was quickly picked up doctors by doctors and distributed to overweight patients. It was a true success story; so successful, in fact, that Medifast could pick up new properties and evolve into a direct-to-customer business while still retaining its prescription facet.
As part of its evolution, Medifast had the subsidiaries Jason Pharmaceuticals, Jason Properties, Jason Enterprises, Take Shape for Life, and Seven Crondall under its collective wing. Take Shape for Life and Jason Pharmaceuticals are the two most involved with Medifast’s day-to-day operations.
In today’s day and age, Medifast has expanded greatly but still continues to offer medically sound diets to those who want to get fit. Thousands of doctors have prescribed Medifast to millions of patients. Medifast has many facets to appeal to a wide variety of dieters, such as:
- Medifast Direct – This plan is the typical Medifast program obtained on their website. Commonly known as the 5 & 1 Plan, this plan focuses on metabolism and also has a social counselling aspect as well.
- Take Shape for Life – This social support system includes health coaching and professional counseling created by Dr. Wayne Anderson.
- Medifast’s Weight Control Centres – These centres are franchises and they are located in five different states. These centres offer a place for dieters to actually visit when they need help with their plan and would like face-to-face meeting with professionals.
- Medifast Participating Doctors – Though Medifast has expanded significantly, their products can still be gotten via prescription from participating doctors.
The 5 & 1 Plan
Let’s look closer at the 5 & 1 Diet Plan. It’s the current popular plan from Medifast and consists of 5 meals you order through Medifast, complemented by a single “Lean & Green Meal” which you prepare yourself or you can even order it at a restaurant as long as it meets the criteria set forth in the diet. It is made up of lean proteins and non-starch vegetables. It’s also made to be easily accessible and perfect for today’s busy mom or dad.
The best facet of the 5 & 1 Plan is that it implements the modern ideal we’ve all heard about metabolism. We’ve consistently been told to eat more, smaller meals, rather than fewer, large ones, but his plan actually calls for it by design. This plan and a good amount of healthy exercise can really turn you around and get you on the right track.
Should I Try Medifast?
Medifast’s clientele list contains people from all walks of life. Someone in a similar situation to yours has probably found success with this program, so if you have read a Nutrisystem weight loss program review and found that it’s not going to work for you, go online and get a Medifast promotion code and give it a shot.
About the Author
Melissa Cameron is a homemaker with a family with which she loves spending time. She also enjoys digital photography and learning about new things. Her newest passion is getting in shape, losing a few pounds, and improving upon the eating habits of her family at the same time.
If you are looking to get fit, you’ve probably thought about what kind of dietary changes you need to make and you’ve probably stumbled across Nutrisystem during your research. If you want to know more about this successful weight loss program, you’ve come to the right place.
In 1971, Harold Katz was sitting around in his native Philadelphia and had an idea after seeing his mother’s weight loss struggles. Katz had no college degree or other nutritionist training, yet he founded a weight loss program that broke commonly-held preconceptions about fitness by focusing on not only a low calorie diet, but also on behavior and counseling.
That First Decade
As a native of Philadelphia, it was only natural that Katz’s first center was opened near there in Willow Grove. Many more centers quickly began to open and Katz even had some franchises looking to capitalize on his success. Katz’s company was not even known as Nutrisystem yet and was already ranked among the one hundred fastest growing businesses in the US.
Nutrisystem (as it was now known) went public in 1982 and expanded into a $300 million business. With this newfound success, the company moved into a new $2 million building. For his part, Katz was able to buy a mansion and even purchase his hometown basketball team, the Philadelphia 76ers.
The 1980s was a boom time for the weight loss industry, including Nutrisystem. They were in all fifty states and had over 500 weight loss centers. They were doubling their revenue every year, so Harold Katz unsuccessfully began exploring other businesses such as cosmetics, salons, and many more. Katz’s unsuccessful explorations created tension among his franchisees and there were lawsuits. To keep the company afloat changes were made.
- A new CEO was hired
- Harold Katz was bought out
- The company was once again private
These changes turned the company around and they opened an additional 1500 weight loss centers. Nutrisystem exploded to a $764 million company.
The rough times persisted, however. Shortly thereafter, more lawsuits came down the pike. Nutrisystem had to file for Chapter 11 in the early 90s, so they made a huge change and took to the Internet in 1997.
The Modern Program
Nutrisystem was reborn in the online world. They also entered into a successful deal with QVC and still sell over 20% of their food there.
Nutrisystem continues to do well today by providing diet programs on the Internet via their website and through their affiliates. The Nutrisystem website is a one-stop shop area for their goods and even offers counseling right then and there. You can also do the same thing via telephone if you prefer.
Nutrisystem maintains a strong television presence as well. By now, everyone has seen their celebrity endorsements: Marie Osmond, Jillian Barberie, Dan Marino, Don Shula, and many more.
Give it a Try
Nutrisystem has survived and flourished when other companies would fold, so that says something about it. If you want to get in shape, give Nutrisystem a try. If you have downloaded some Medifast diet coupons and decided it’s simply not for you, read a Nutrisystem weight loss diet review. Chances are, you will find that it’s a good fit.
About the Author
Melissa Cameron is a homemaker with an unbelievable family. She enjoys spending time with them, her digital photography, and also learning about new things. Her newest passion is getting into shape, losing a little weight, and improving the eating habits of her husband and kids at the same time.
One of the most well-known names in the furniture business today is Sauder Woodworking Co. For over seven decades, they have provided quality pieces that are so moderately-priced that they have become the brand to turn to for anyone on a budget. Primary living spaces, kitchens, offices, nurseries and playrooms all provide the perfect place for their well-made furniture.
Birth of the Company
In 1934, Erie Sauder had nothing more than an eighth grade education and a few tools but he had to find a way to provide for his family as they were just coming out of the Great Depression. Erie and his wife, Leona used a small barn behind their home to set up a small woodworking business. In the beginning, there was no need for home desk office furniture like there is today but there was a need for durable cabinets and chicken crates for local farmers.
By 1937, they were making church furniture and by 1940, they had an order for 25,000 tables that the company had recently started making out of scrap materials from their production of church pews.
A New Era
After a second fire destroyed the business and claimed the death of Erie’s uncle, he was reluctant to rebuild but his wife and staff convinced him to do it one more time. 1951 was a new era for Sauder Woodworking Co. They designed tables that could be packaged and assembled at home without any special tools, a trademark that continues to make them so popular today.
By 1965, Erie’s three sons, Myrl, Maynard and Delma had joined the family business that they were so familiar with, growing up playing in the warehouse from a young age. Then, in 1981, the microwave oven was invented, an appliance that needed a cart, which pushed the popularity of the company to another level.
1993 to Present
One of the most brilliant accomplishments that Erie is known for is his invention to use sawdust from scraps to generate electricity. He had never been one to waste anything and now he really could make use of every bit of raw material the company had.
1994 saw the home computer become the biggest craze. From cabinet-style or corner computer desks, Sauder Woodworking Co. made a product that would fit in every home.
At 92 years old, Erie Sauder passed away on June 29th, 1997. His life exhibited hard work, kindness, dedication, adversity and enthusiasm. He was a man who truly had no enemies. Kevin Sauder, Erie’s grandson, stepped up as the company president in 1999 to continue to run the business the way it was intended.
Today, Sauder Woodworking Co. is still a family owned business. Although it is a huge company, it still runs with the same mom and pop appeal as it always has. Sauder purchased Gruga-Novimex in 2007, an office chair manufacturer and in 2009, they celebrated their 75th anniversary as being a made-in-the USA, authentic furniture company. Sauder Woodworking Co., is available at fine retailers including Office Max, Staples, Lowes, Meijer, Wallmart, Target, Office Depot and Best Buy.
About the Author
Lloyd Burrell operates www.officedeskreviews.com, a website that helps consumers pick the right office furniture for their needs. Considering the 40-hour work week is now closer to 60 and more people are working from home, having a desk that one is comfortable sitting at for an extended period of time is vital. For this very reason Lloyd offers money saving tips and advice for consumers looking to purchase a desk for their home or office.
Did you ever wonder how your TV remote actually tells the television to change the channel or turn down the sound? Have you ever wondered how satellites can see through clouds and give an image of the ground underneath? And those night vision goggles, just how do they work?
These devices and hundreds of others rely on infrared light, light that we can’t actually see, to perform their functions.
The light you can’t see
Infrared is a form of electromagnetic energy just as are radio waves, microwaves, ultraviolet rays, X and Gamma rays and visible light. These forms of electromagnetic energy make up the electromagnetic spectrum which is measured by the wavelength that each form has.
For example “visible light” which consists of the 7 primary colors has a wavelength range of 390 nm – 470 nm. Actually the term visible light is a misnomer because all light is visible if it is perceived by an appropriate receptor. Our human eyes are limited to “visible light” but a bee for example can see ultraviolet light. Infrared has a wavelength range of 700 nm – 30,000 nm which is well outside human detection.
Detecting invisible light
Infrared receivers allow infrared light to be used in hundreds of ways. For example in the case of your TV remote, when you press the channel changer an infrared light is emitted and picked up by the receiver on the TV set. This light is sent in pulses and the pulses are the equivalent of binary code. The receiver gets the infra red pulses and passes them to the microprocessor that translates the binary code into a command (switch to channel 4) and performs the function.
The satellite photos and the night vision goggles both work on a form of thermal imaging. Heat is one of the easiest forms of electromagnetic energy to detect. A satellite equipped with a thermal imaging camera can “see through the clouds” by detecting the thermal energy of the objects below and assigning a range of colors based on the strength of the heat signature. The net result is a colorful image that you typically see on a weather map. Goggles work much the same way but detect the lower range of infrared rather than true thermal imaging.
Capturing invisible light as art
While there are hundreds of industrial and scientific uses for infrared, the whole “seeing the invisible light” phenomena started in the early 1900s when photographers first developed a working infrared process.
Infrared photography remained the domain of a small number of professional photographers for years due to the time consuming and complex process that was involved in creating a single image. Today, thanks to digital camera that can become exclusively an IR camera, infrared photography is growing in popularity.
Infrared photography involves excluding visible light from entering the lens by use of a filter or a true IR camera, and then processing the image in Photoshop to get the desired effect. IR photographs depend greatly on the skill and creativity of the photographer both with the camera and with Photoshop. The results however are breathtaking and well worth the extra effort.
Melissa Cameron is a full time bookkeper during the day and a full time mother of three when she gets home. In the little free time she does have she loves learning how to improve her infrared photography skills.
Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past ten or twelve years you already know that WordPress is an open source website platform that is a favorite among the bloggers of the net. Originally designed to make blogging a breeze, WordPress has matured and is now much, much more than just a blogging machine. So just what is WordPress today?
What makes it so special? For starters it’s free. More importantly it is a snap to use and you can literally have it up and running in a matter of minutes. And probably most important, WordPress delivers sophisticated site architecture, an incredible content management system (CSM) and a permalink system that Google just gobbles up.
If you are a small business thinking about jumping into the digital world or updating your existing website then permalinks, CMS and site architecture probably don’t mean a thing to you. But the idea that you can have an attractive and effective digital presence that doesn’t require a degree in geekology to operate has to be attractive. Of course the fact that thousands of the top websites on the net are using it doesn’t hurt its credibility either.
How WordPress works
Unlike static websites that are based on HTML where each web page has to be uploaded to a file separately, WordPress uses PHP and MySQL to create a content management system that automates and accelerates the design and structuring of the site. For the small business person this translates into no or low webmaster expense and much more control over appearance and content.
Installing WordPress takes about 5 minutes if your webhosting company offers a C Panel. Learning how to set up WordPress website does involve a shallow learning curve but compared to a static site it’s a piece of cake.
Thanks to its theme processor, editing the look and feel can be as easy as dragging and dropping. The base installation comes with great support for tagging posts and articles and automatic filters insure that the formatting and stylization of text is all kept standard. In other words it spits out a polished product and saves a ton of time with little effort on the part of the site owner.
Why WordPress works especially well for small businesses
The base install come with some pretty powerful stuff but with a little intelligent tweaking a small business WordPress website can become a lead generating machine.
The bulk of traffic that comes to any website comes as the result of a search inquiry. There are over 15 billion searches each month. Not so long ago Google determined that as much as 75% of the searches’ were initiated as a result of a local need. In other words search was becoming the new Yellow Pages. As a result, local business have the same, if not better chance of ranking on page one of Google for any search involving goods or services.
Google and local business returns
Now that the small business can be competitive on Google, the challenge is to provide a website that will outperform the competition. Because WordPress comes stock with excellent Search Engine Optimization features it is an ideal choice for small businesses.
If there is a downside it is in the choices of themes that are available for business. WordPress offers thousands of themes and plugins for a business site which means it’s pretty easy to be overwhelmed. In addition there are other alternatives and you will want to explore other sources for WordPress themes for small business. A knowledgeable developer can tweak the plugins to make a site more Google appealing for a specific geographic area. Having great built in SEO and Google attraction for the local market is a combination that spells success.
Don Campbell’s career AHA moment came at a very early age, 13 to be exact when his parents gave him his first computer. Today after extensive experience with Interwoven and Microsoft, Don owns a company that helps hundreds of small businesses create WordPress Websites and position themselves for top local search results.
If you don’t see photography as art, if you think your cell phone is the only camera you’ll ever need, then infrared photography 1s probably not for you. It’s not for you as a photographer that is. You can still enjoy and appreciate the amazing images that result from infrared photography.
When it comes down to it, photography is the art of catching light and infrared photography is the art of capturing invisible light. Capturing invisible light sounds rather improbable but just because we can’t see it with our eyes does not mean it doesn’t exist.
The light we can’t see
Every type of light can be identified with a wavelength. For example the human eye can see reflected light in the 400 to 700 nm range. But just like there are sounds that we can’t hear but our pet dog can, there is light that has a higher wavelength that we can’t see but still exists. Light in the 700 – 1200 nm is referred to as near infrared or NIR.
Fortunately we have found a way to capture this light with a method of photography. The results are simply stunning. Familiar objects seen through an invisible light take on an almost unearthly beauty. Skies are much darker; clouds are much crisper, some images pop out of the photograph while others have translucent auras. It all depends on how objects reflect near infrared light.
IR photography – love it or hate it
Infrared photography has been around for decades but because of the difficulty in taking the pictures it has never been though of as mainstream photography. As one professional IP photographer put it “People either absolutely love infrared photography or they just don’t get it.” I the “not getting it” that has turned many people off from producing IR photos.
Fortunately digital cameras have made the process a bit more manageable not to mention affordable. As it turns out, the guts of a digital camera makes it well suited as an infrared camera. Unlike film cameras the silicone based sensors in digital camera are quite sensitive to NIR. In fact they are too sensitive and need to have infrared filters attached so that they don’t corrupt visible light images that most people will want to use the camera for.
The infrared “snapshot” – shooting blind
Actually there is no such thing as an infrared snapshot because the process of setting up a shot and actually taking it can be a comparatively long time. In order to get good infrared photographs using a digital camera you’re going to need an infrared filter for the lens and a tripod to hold the camera steady during the exposure time. Exposure times can run as short as a couple of seconds to as long as 30 seconds depending on the light.
The first step is to set up shot without the filter. To do this set up your tripod, mount the camera and then frame the shot the way you want it. The next step is to screw on the filter. With the filter in place no visible light enters the camera. Consequently no image will appear on the LED screen and you are literally shooting blind. Set your f stop for midrange focus and then play with different exposures. You’ll want several shots so you’ll have options when you process the image in Photoshop.
Infrared photos need post production work done in Adobe Raw and Photoshop before you have an image that you are really happy with. The final results can be amazing but the need for this Photoshop work is another reason that infrared is not a mainstream form of photography.
However, if you gut it out all of the way through the process you will be hooked. Infrared brings out the best of your creative talents and gives you a real sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.
A surfing mom of three, Melissa Cameron works as a bookkeeper for a medical practice full time but loves spending her free time exploring the possibilities of infrared photography. Hooked on the latest IR technology, Melissa is always looking for ways to create even more powerful IR images.
Years ago when a person said they “had photographic proof” that an event occurred that was hard to refute. Photography was akin to what DNA evidence is today. However, thanks to a computer software program called Photoshop that “photographic proof” claim doesn’t carry the credibility that it once did.
Adobe’s Photoshop is a complex and multifunctional software program for creating, editing and managing images. If you think about it, a web page template is really just an image and Photoshop was a popular way to create websites when it first came out. However today Photoshop’s popularity is most derived from its image creation and editing capabilities.
Who’s buying Photoshop?
Photoshop is a “must have” software tool for graphic designers because of its incredibly powerful tools that help create digital art as well as more mundane items like logos, banners, brochures and business cards. It can be used to create new digital images or edit existing print material thanks to the scanning capabilities of most modern printers.
But where Photoshop is finding an increasingly growing number of users is in the serious amateur photography buffs, particularly the infrared photography fans. Photoshop is not inexpensive software but the amazing effects it can perform are worth every penny to someone interested in photography.
So why do photographers flock to this software? Here’ are a few of the reasons:
- Making you look better. Photoshop can do an amazing job of retouching a photo. Photoshop can do everything from simple removal of red-eye to eliminating wrinkles and skin imperfections. Have you always wanted to know what you would look like as a redhead but never had the guts to dye your hair? No problem for Photoshop it can change your hair color and even add highlights.
- Photo retouch is only one of the effects that Photoshop can do and as a matter of fact it might be considered as one of the lesser editing capabilities. You know those vacation postcards that you send to friends that say “wish you were here.” Well now your friend actually can join you on your vacation…at least in your photos. Photoshop can take an image of a person from one photograph and place them artfully in another.
The merging of images from different photos and doing it in a way so that the end result seems natural is an extremely popular Photoshop feature. Unfortunately some photographers have abused the capability and have placed people (usually celebrities) in positions or places that they have never been in for the purposes of creating shock or controversy. When a person finds themselves the subject of one of these images they are considered to have been “Photoshopped.”
- Perhaps the greatest feature as far as photographs go is the software’s ability to control color density, resolution, size and literally dozens of special effects. Infrared photographers have to use Photoshop because all of their raw pictures have a red tint. Using the software allows them to create incredibly crisp images or eerily otherworld photographs.
When it comes to creating or editing images, if you can imagine it you can do it on Photoshop. Not only is it the graphic designer’s primary tool it is a software that can unleash the creativity of the amateur photographer as well.
Somehow, Melisa Cameron finds a way to balance her life between her husband and three kids, a full time job, a love of surfing, and a hobby of infrared photography and do them all well. Melissa is always looking for ways to improve her photographic skills and loves writing about new technology.
If you’re thinking about creating a WordPress website then you’ve probably already thought about what theme or “skin” you want to use. But it’s important to understand that the theme controls more than just the appearance of your site. Depending on the theme you select, there may be limitations on what you can customize to get the full functionality that you desire.
Once you know how to set up WordPress website you’ll be anxious to get the site up and live as soon as you can. After all, that’s one of the most attractive features of the platform. But before you select a WordPress theme, take a deep breath and make sure you fully understand what you want your site to do as well as how you want it to look.
How to choose a WordPress theme
If you’re going to use your site strictly for blogging then its fair to say that every theme will give you the functionality and flexibility that you need. After all, WordPress was originally developed as a blogging platform.
But if your objective is to build a traditional website to represent your business then there are other considerations that come into play. For example:
- The more complex the design and functionality the more robust the theme has to be.
- The look and feel has to be that of a business not a personal blog. Check out your competition and see what themes they are using and if any look right for your business.
- Does the theme allow for growth? As you increase business will the theme be able to keep up with increased functionality? How can functionality be added? Can the theme be tweaked or is a major overhaul required?
- How flexible is the page layout? Can you have different formats on different pages or is it a one size fits all theme?
- Lastly, what kind of support is offered by the theme developer? If you have problems who can you turn to and how reliable are they?
The importance of picking the right WordPress theme for your needs
Picking a theme is a big deal because this will be the representation of your brand on the internet. Not only that, the theme you select will determine just how easy it will be to manage the site, innovate, expand functionality and maintain. Do your due diligence and see the theme that you are considering in action.
Here’s a hint. If you’re looking for WordPress themes for small business you probably will not find what you want in the free theme gallery provided by WordPress. There are a number of small business themes that have been developed that provide a customizable appearance, capacity for growth and the functionality that a business website will need. Most successful commercial WordPress websites have used a developer to come up with themes that meet the specific needs of the business.
Free WordPress themes are great for personal blogging and if that’s what you’re looking for by all means select one from the WordPress gallery. But if you’re counting on your website to generate revenue, either through direct sales or generating leads, it is well worth the investment to have a WordPress theme designed and developed to custom fit your business.
Don Campbell is a professional WordPress theme designer and developer. Don’s company has been successfully providing themes optimized for local search to small businesses across the United States and recently expanded the business to include Internet Marketing services and web presence assessment. Don calls the Silicon Valley in California home.
I stumbled across a nifty little importer of furniture I think you should know about.
Carolina Cottage, by Carolina Chair & Table, has been importing furniture to their Greensboro, North Carolina headquarters for many years. They pride themselves on supplying consumers with timeless designs that are functional yet practical. Their furniture is well constructed, offers exceptional value, and they have many styles and colours to choose from
Designed For Families
Each Carolina Cottage piece is designed for families, couples and young professionals to complement the decor of every room of your home, urban loft, historical residence, mountain home, beach cottage and suburban development.
A Wide Selection To Choose From
Among their many products are dining tables and chairs, indoor rocking chairs, stools, buffet, and occasional tables to name just a few. All come in a wide range of colours and styles. If you are looking for nice designs I think you’ll like what they have. Each style I looked at had clean lines instead of the more decorative pieces seen in many stores today.
Built To Last
The companies stated goal is to manufacture quality furniture that can stand the test of time that comes with busy families today. Although designed for all age groups their main focus developing pieces with appeal to young couples, especially those with children.
I guess it goes without saying that if it’s built to sustain the bumps and bruises inflicted by young children then it will last long enough to be passed along through the generations. So you may want to think of this purchase as an heirloom piece.
Workmanship Is Obvious
The workmanship of the furniture produced by this little Greensboro, North Carolina furniture manufacturer is very obvious once you’ve had a look. I guess the natural beauty of the area inspires their craftsmen to create pieces to that reflect home and family. They only use 100% wood for their products. Maybe this stems from a history of mountain folk who had little choice but to use what was available in the environment.
Eco Friendly Too
Today many companies are doing their part for the environment. Carolina Cottage is aware of their impact on the earth and use methods that will help to preserve the heritage for their children, and grandchildren. As they continue to learn new Eco-friendly techniques their focus is still on great craftsmanship at an affordable price.
If you want to purchase furniture that will last you a lifetime then these people at Carolina Cottage deserve your attention. If I were you I’d take a close look at what they offer.
Melissa Cameron enjoys scrap-booking and writing. She is a full-time freelance writer who researched this article while alternating between two of her favourite wooden rocking chairs. Working online allows her to work at home and be close to her family. She always loves to learn new things to write about interesting products that her husband has recently nicknamed her “The Walking Infomercial”.
Storkcraft is a 60 year old manufacturer of children’s furniture based in British Columbia, Canada. They started as a one man operation working from a suburban garage. Today the name Storkcraft has become a trusted brand worldwide.
Quality Comes First
Storkcraft’s team of engineers and designers employ sophisticated high-tech tools to ensure that they are always at the forefront of the juvenile furniture industry. A commitment to quality runs throughout the organization. Their high standards are internationally recognized and they are members of the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association. Unmatched craftsmanship and quality are the ultimate difference between Storkcraft baby and child furniture products and others.
Committed To Excellence
Their experienced professional design team prides itself on crafting the best children’s furniture available. Their customer service reps are dedicated and motivated to meet or exceed client expectations. Should you ever have a problem with one of their wooden rocking chairs they have specially trained personnel to assist you.
Built According To Code
Because the Canadian government has some of the the most stringent safety regulations in the world you are assured of high standards. All children’s furniture is JPMA certified (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association) and are thereby guaranteed to meet USA and Canadian standards. Additionally Storkcraft uses independent testers to check safety of their products.
Storkcraft is also committed to the continuous introduction of new materials that are friendly to you, your baby and the environment. As an added design feature, many of the Storkcraft baby products are designed and built for other uses as well, such as, toddler beds and twin/double size beds.
State Of The Art Manufacturing
The baby furniture and children’s furniture division relies on state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities. All Storkcraft baby products are double-tested for safety and durability by advanced diagnostic equipment.
They are recognized by independent testing laboratories in Canada, USA, England, Australia, Israel as well as the European Community. No other baby furniture manufacturer in the world meets safety standards in so many different countries.
Features of the Storkcraft Glider
- babies love them
- ottomans included
- many styles
Available Models & Prices At CSN Stores
Most gliders retail at around $280 to $310 although sometimes there are specials being offered by CSN stores, which has a wide selection.
We find excellent prices at CSN Stores. And they ship to both Canada and U.S. consumers. However, they often sell out so if you see it in stock at CSN Stores and at a good price it’s definitely worth grabbing.
CSN Stores continuously adds to their distinctive product line of great furniture. Currently they sell glider rockers, beds, chest, dressers and more. Their four furniture lines are Ragazzi Fine Furniture, Status Commercial Furniture, Canwood Furniture, and Storkcraft Furniture.
You might want to give them a close look.
About the Author
Melissa Cameron enjoys scrap-booking and writing. She is a full-time freelance writer who researched this article while sitting in her very own rocking chair. Working online allows her to work at home and be close to her family. She loves to learn new things to write about interesting products that her husband has recently nicknamed her “The Walking Infomercial”.
WordPress is a fantastic website platform that comes with an incredible amount of features right out of the box (actually right out of the install) but its greatest feature is the ability to add unlimited functionality without having to rewrite or add a single line of code.
How can this possibly be you ask. Well the answer to that question is the WordPress plugin. Plugins are applications that can easily be installed on your WordPress website that provide additional functionality. Each plugin is a module that contains the PHP code to perform a specific task. So for example if you wanted to add a portfolio page for the display of images you simply add the appropriate plugin and you are good to go. No need to make changes to the core WordPress programming.
There’s a WordPress plugin for everything on your site
Plugins aren’t limited to customizing page appearance; they can be used for ton of useful tasks that will allow you manage your site more effectively. There are literally hundreds of plugins available, some free some not, that can turn your site from an also ran lost in the depths of the search engines to an engaging, popular and productive digital destination.
Here’s a short list of plugin examples:
- Google Analytics for WordPress. This plugin takes the popular web management tool and puts it on steroids. Track outbound links and downloads. Manage advertising campaigns. Track logins and registration forms. This plugin takes Google technology and customizes it specifically for your WordPress website.
- LinkWithin. If you have great content and you have related articles this little plugin will increase your page views and time on site. Install this plugin and at the bottom of every post a prompt will appear to direct the reader to similar articles that the plugin has automatically indexed and classified.
- Google XML sitemaps. The key to getting traffic is getting found in the search engines. If the search engines don’t know what’s on your site you’ll never be found. This plugin creates an XML sitemap that is optimized for search engine crawlers so that every page can quickly be read and indexed.
Finding and installing the plugin
Learning how to set up WordPress site with plugins is a snap. Simply go to your control panel, scroll down and look on the left side for plugins. You can enter a keyword like SEO and a list of available plugins will appear. Just select the plugin you want and install. In less than 2 minutes your site will have a new function.
But what if you can’t find a plugin that does exactly what you want? This often occurs with WordPress themes for small business particularly when they want an optimization package for local search. Not to worry. There are qualified plugin developers that can build your application from scratch and deliver a product that will meet your needs exactly. Of course it will cost you a couple of dollars but the investment is well worth it given the revenue potential that ranking on the first page represents.
You can make your WordPress website be anything you want it to be and do anything you want it to using these easy to install plugins. This technology puts the power of the web into everyone’s hands and levels out the playing field for small businesses and individuals alike. So what are you waiting for? Go forth and plugin.
Don Campbell is a WordPress expert extraordinaire. His company specializes in creating WordPress themes and custom plugins for small business owners and he has helped hundreds dominate their local search results. His close relationships with Google and his Microsoft background allows Don to provide cutting edge designs that include the latest in SEO.