What is Internet Web Hosting?
Simply put, Internet web hosting allows a person or company to have their own website. The web host owns space on a server, and they allow their clients to use part of this space for websites.
A single webpage is the most basic example of web hosting. In many cases, small-scale pages will be offered for free by an Internet service provider. Site hosting for online businesses are more expensive and usually feature more complex designs and greater amounts of data.
Choosing Internet Web Hosting
When you sign up for Internet access, you may find that a simplified form of web hosting is included as part of the agreement. If you are looking for something more advanced, however, you will probably have to pay for it.
Providers usually use Linux-based web hosting, as it offers the widest array of software possibilities. Operating systems such as Mac OS X and Windows can also host websites.
A web content management system is usually included, allowing the user to ignore more in-depth technical matters. This is perfect for many clients, but more technical-oriented users may find this system limiting.
If you’re still unsure as to which web hosting service to use, you can search the Internet for information. Many forums and message boards specialize in this subject, and you can get reviews from customers who have already tried the service you’re considering.
Types of Internet Web Hosting
When answering the question, “What is Internet web hosting?”, it’s also important to know about the available types of web hosting. These include:
- Shared Web Hosting – Your website is on the same server as many other sites.
- Free Web Hosting – Doesn’t cost you anything, but its features will usually be limited. It may also include a number of advertisements to offset the cost of offering the site for nothing.
- Virtual Dedicated Server – While customers share server space with others, this type of web hosting breaks servers into individual virtual components in an effort to make the customer feel as though they are on their own private server.
- Reseller Web Hosting – The client is able to host websites. The client will have to provide technical support, and their services often mirror those of their initial provider. This can often be a very unreliable option.
- Dedicated Hosting Service – The client has full control of their own web server. This is a popular and expensive option.
- Clustered Hosting – Multiple servers host the same content.
- Grid Hosting – A form of distributed hosting. The server is divided into multiple nodes.
- Managed Hosting – The client has their own web server, but they do not have complete control over it.
- Colocation Hosting – The most expensive and powerful type of web hosting. The colo server is owned by the client, while the host provides space and maintenance.
Web Hosting Scams
There are a number of scams out there which promise free domain names and free web hosting. While a few may be legitimate, it’s important for the consumer to be aware of the various web hosting scams floating around.
- Free Web Space – Web space offered for free will often be limited, subject to unwanted advertisements and prone to down time.
- Free Domain Names – In order to get a free domain, you’ll often have to add you name or business to the end of the URL. This makes it hard for people to remember the name of your website, and it will also have problems ranking on Internet search engines.
- Simple Templates – The hosting site promises lots of simple templates to help you design your site. Once you pay, however, you’ll find the templates aren’t as simple as advertised. In many cases, the templates are the property of the hosts, so you can’t take the designs with you if you decide to change hosts.
- Free Search Engine Submission – Search engine submissions to sites like Yahoo, Google and AOL are always free. Beware of anyone offering to give you search engine submissions at no extra charge.
- No Number or Address – Stay away from any hosting company who doesn’t list a physical address or phone number.
- Resellers – These scam artists buy lots of space from their host and then pretend to be hosts themselves. If the person is unavailable, however, there will be nobody to attend to your needs.
Internet Web Hosting Summary
So what is Internet web hosting? Well, it’s an online service which allows you to rent space and share your own website with the world. The more complicated your site, the more it may cost in time and money. Numerous types of web hosting are available, but potential customers also need to be aware of web hosting scams.
This entry was posted on Thursday, January 10th, 2013 at 10:19 am and is filed under Internet. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.