Who is RCN Internet?
RCN Internet is a provider of high-speed Internet, digital cable and phone bundles. In business since 1996, they utilize fiber-optic cables to service the following areas: Chicago, Boston, New York City, Washington, D.C. and Philadelphia.
History of RCN Internet
RCN first appeared on the scene by offering triple-play service to the Boston area in 1996. By 1998, they had expanded by purchasing numerous cable and Internet companies.
By 2005, RCN had focused almost exclusively on the Chicago and Northeast Corridor markets. To better accomplish this, they sold all West Coast holdings, as well as the largest cable company in Mexico.
The company acquired a fiber-optics network by purchasing Consolidated Edison, Inc. in 2006. In that same year, they also made a total conversion to a digital network.
In 2007, they continued their growth by purchasing NEON Communications and their expansive fiber-optic network. The following year, RCN began to move to an all-digital video platform. This upgrade has since allowed RCN to offer a larger menu of programming.
Service Areas for RCN Internet
Unless you live in one of the following areas, you shouldn’t concern yourself with questions such as “who is RCN Internet?” Anyone outside of these areas can’t receive service from RCN Internet.
- Boston (includes areas such as Boston, Burlington, Dedham, Dorchester, Somerville, Hyde Park and Waltham)
- D.C. Metro Area (towns and areas such as Shaw, Chinatown, Silver Spring, Van Ness, Chevy Chase, Takoma Park and Friendship Park)
- New York City (areas such as Astoria, Sunnyside, Woodside, Bronx, Trump Village in Brooklyn, Middle Village, Upper West, Upper East, Lower West and Lower East sides of Manhattan.)
- Philadelphia (service areas include places such as Lansdowne, Upper Darby, Rutledge, Morton, Yeadon, Folcroft and Eddystone)
- Chicago (includes areas such as Andersonville, Skokie, Wrigleyville, Edgewater, Lakeview, River North, Lincolnwood and East Rogers Park)
- The Lehigh Valley (areas such as Bath Borough, East Bangor Borough, Pen Argyl Borough, City of Allentown, East Allen Township, Whitehall Township and Northampton Borough)
RCN Internet Plans
Besides asking “Who is RCN Internet?“, you might also ask, “Which Internet plans do they offer?“. The following Internet service plans are currently available from RCN:
- 1.5 Mbps - This plan is suited for those who occasionally use the Internet. Costs $18 per month.
- 5 Mbps – Costs $28 per year. Allows uploading of large files and music.
- 10 Mbps – $38 per month. A good choice for families and large offices. Allows for smooth running during online games and Flash movies.
- 20 Mbps – Costs $58 per month and provides the customer with downloads within seconds. For serious computer users, this plan allows ultra-smooth graphics during online games.
Each RCN Internet plan comes with the following services for no extra charge:
- Webmail (up to four accounts)
- Video Mail
- Exclusive Online Entertainment (customers can watch ESPN, ABC and Disney online for free)
- Personal webpage (numerous styles and templates are available)
- Home Networking (includes 24/7 technical support)
- Online Music and Games
This entry was posted on Thursday, January 10th, 2013 at 10:32 am and is filed under Internet. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.