Live Better University – 100 Great Advice Blogs
by Doug Brinlee
Sometimes we need advice, and the Internet has become the place to get it. Hundreds of blog sites are written by both experts and laymen which offer tips and opinions on any topic imaginable. Here we present 100 of the best blogs offering tips and advice on a wide range of subjects, from love to the Internet, from wine to gardening. Learn from them and live better.
Love Advice Blogs
Whether you’re a lonely single looking for a connection or a social husband/wife looking for fulfillment, a blogger somewhere offers love advice. Here are ten of our favorite love advice blogs.
- Susie and Otto – Susie and Otto are relationship coaches and soulmates who have run websites since 1999 in order to help people improve their relationships and lead a healthy emotional and spiritual life.
- Savvy Miss – This website is a community for women and has featured blogs regarding love advice and tips such as Eli Davidson, who was featured on the Today Show.
- Internet Dating Tips – Mostly dedicated to love and relationship advice for online dating.
- Love Birds – Open source dating ideas. Author is Lob Eng from Singapore.
- Dear Sugar – Blogs about love and sex, health, celebrities, fashion, and entertainment.
- Dating & Relationships at About.com – Terrific blog written by About.com dating guide Bonnie Albo.
- Lessons for a Happy Marriage – Paul Friedman provides marriage and relationship advice.
- Dating Thoughts – A group of friends and professionals contribute advice and personal relationship tips to this entertaining blog.
- Practical Dating Tips – This one’s written from a decidedly male perspective.
Health and Fitness Tips Blogs
Want to lose weight? Live longer? Be more attractive? Next to love and money, health is the most popular topic on the site.
- Health and Fitness 101 – A blog that targets people living the Montana lifestyle, this site offers some interesting tips and advice for staying healthy.
- The Health and Fitness Blog – Diet reviews, tips, and advice about the proper food that you should eat.
- Everyday Health – Features some good advice from doctors in the field of chronic pain, cancer, allergies, and other ailments.
- Diet Health and Fitness – A good source for fitness tips and articles on vitamins, supplements, and diets.
- Your Health Product – A good resource for meditation and dealing with stress.
- Bray Fitness Blog – Phil Bray’s blog offers advice regarding fitness techniques and tips as well as proper diets for all health enthusiasts.
- Weight Loss at About.com – Jennifer R. Scott presents sensible and healthy weight loss tips and advice.
- Blue Zones – A tiny number of geographical locations have a much larger than usual incidence of centenarians. The Blue Zones looks at the lifestyles of the people who live in those locations to provide advice for healthier living.
- The Health Blog from the Wall Street Journal – Health news and events from a respected news source.
- Health & Sports at AskMen.com – Focused on helping men live healthier, more athletic lives.
Personal Finance Blogs
Love, weight loss, and money are three of the most popular topics on the Internet. Here are some sites about money and how to manage it.
- Get Rich Slowly – This isn’t just one of our favorite personal finance blogs; it’s one of our favorite blogs, period. Consistently well-written and brilliant, Get Rich Slowly is a must read. Bookmark this site now, and subscribe to their RSS feed. Your financial health will thank you.
- The Simple Dollar – Another of our favorite sites, The Simple Dollar site offers personal experience from a former spendaholic about finances, career choices, investments, and spending habits.
- Real People, Real Finances – People blog about their personal finances and share their tips and advice about money with others.
- Wise Bread – Covers personal finance, how to save money, and the financial industry as it relates to the average consumer. How to live large on a small budget.
- Bargaineering – A popular advice blog about financial investments and spending, it has been around for several years now and has been cited in several financial publications. (The logo is a picture of an engineer, which is a play on the name, “bargaineer”.)
- I Will Teach You to be Rich – Blog written by the author of the book I Will Teach You To Be Rich. He’s a Stanford graduate who co-founded pbwiki.com.
- My Money Blog – Personal finance and investment blog that deals with portfolios, investments, and the financial markets.
- Money Saving Mom – Save money by getting the best deals and freebies.
- Money Blue Book – Advice about keeping up with your credit and managing your net worth.
- Moolanomy – Financial guides, frugal living, and how to invest, from multiple authors.
Internet Tips Blogs
The Internet can be used to conduct your business as well as to conduct your social life. Most of the blogs below focus on conducting business online, but a few of them “mash up” business and social aspects of the worldwide web.
- Social Media – Blogs about how social media is changing the Internet, and about how you can plan a strategy around this.
- Social Media Today – News and opinions about how social media sites are changing the Internet.
- Mashable – Another guide to social media and the Internet. I particularly enjoy their “megalists”.
- Biz Tips Blog – This is another blog about how to use the internet for marketing and full of advice on building your business over the web.
- Blog Herald – Opinions and news about the state of blogging on the Internet. Very professional.
- Guide to Blogging – This is a pretty cool blog site that deals with blogging topics such as how to set up and run a blog.
- Top Rank Blog – A great blog about tips for the internet such as web building advice, search engine optimization, and social media.
- RV Internet Access – Tips about how to access the Internet aimed at RV’ers.
- The Internet Bloke – Another very useful blog designed to assist with setting up and running a small internet business.
- Techie Buzz – This one’s more of a technology blog than it is an Internet blog, but a lot of their content is aimed directly at Internet users. One of their recent posts was about online to-do list managers. Great stuff.
Travel Advice Blogs
The travel industry is one of the largest businesses on the Internet. But no one wants their trip to suck because they didn’t get the information they needed before leaving. Here are ten travel advice blogs to help you get ready before you go.
- Blogabond – Multiple blogs from multiple contributors about backpackers and independent travel.
- Everything Everywhere – Gary Arndt’s blog about his world travels along with photos and Q&A.
- Travellerspoint – Another community of multiple travel bloggers, Travellerspoint also offers a forum, photos, travel guides and advice.
- TravelPod – This immensely popular site features blogs by experienced travelers to just about every country in the world.
- Lonely Planet – Lonely Planet is a company dedicated to travel information and guides, but it also features an interesting blog by one of the co-founders that features many of his travels.
- Travel Blog – Another popular travel community with blogs, photos, videos and tips from around the world.
- My Trip Journal – This site lets you store journals and blogs about your travels and has featured journals from contributors.
- Travbuddy – Not only does this website have travel blogs but it also has hotel rates, reviews, and a world travel guide.
- Wicked Good Travel Tips – Tips and advice from about various destinations, saving money, and planning trips.
- Worldhum – Extensive site with articles that discuss world news that pertain to the traveler.
Beauty Tips Blogs
The blogs in this section might seem like they’re only for women, but we tried to include some style tips type blogs for men as well in our list of beauty tips blogs.
- Mens Fashion at About.com – Daniel Billett edits this excellent resource offering grooming and style tips for men.
- Get Kempt – An Urban Daddy production about men’s style, fashion, and grooming.
- Men’s Flair – Men’s style from those who are living it. (Whatever that means.)
- Smarter Beauty Blog – Addresses all issues of personal beauty from hair and make-up to shaving and product reviews.
- Makeup and Beauty Blog – Makeup reviews, tutorials, and drugstore beauty finds.
- Dolce Beauty – Makeup tutorials and tips to natural and organic products, all inspired by celebrity beauty.
- Beauty Chat Blog – Focuses on looking good and feeling good. Lots of beauty tips and advice along with reader responses and comments.
- Beauty Blogging Junkie – A witty blog that’s very funny but still informative. Their tag line says it better than we ever could: “Beauty is the promise of happiness.” – Stendhal
- Adventures of a Cosmetology Student – Interesting to get a perspective from a student at a cosmetology school about various beauty and grooming related subjects.
Car Tips Blogs
- Autoblog – Obsessively covers the car industry and news, as well as offering new and used car reviews.
- Ask Patty – Car advice for women. We love the name of her site too!
- Kicking Tires – Advice and tips for anyone buying a new or used car.
- Car Craft Blog – Mostly aimed at do-it-yourself car enthusiasts.
- Carspace – A car themed social networking site. Members create their own blogs and participate in forums.
- Classic Nation – Classic car enthusiasts share photos and advice.
- Classic Cars Blog – A really informative blog full of tips and tutorials on classic car restoration.
- Automotive.com – More newsy than tips-oriented, but still of interest to car-lovers.
- Cars Cars Cars – A blog about cars. Only angrier. How can you not want to bookmark a site with such a great tagline?
- Buying Advice – A narrow themed blog. If you’re looking for advice about buying a car, then you’ll find it here.
The best news we’ve heard in the last ten years or so was that wine (in moderation) is good for your health. Here are some blogs with tips and advice on how to better enjoy wine.
- Dr. Vino’s Wine Blog – Run by a writer and wine connoisseur, this site give a lot of great tips and advice about travels through vineyards, wine tasting events, and wine reviews. Wine talk that goes down easy.
- Winelog – Anyone can join and share their own wine experiences and tips with other readers.
- Wine Spectator – Chock full of wide topics on wine, it has a blog section where editors to share their thoughts.
- Chelsies Wine Notes – Reviews affordable wines that don’t taste cheap.
- Cheap Fun Wines – Covers great tasting wines under 20 bucks.
- Alawine.com – Industry news such as vineyards, specific years, and winery awards. Especially concerned with award-winning wines.
- Another Wine Blog – He writes about more than just wine though. He also writes about travel and beer.
- Wine Blog – Juicy wine thoughts from Jo Diaz.
- The Blog Wine Cellar – Includes some wine education videos, as well as wine recommendations and thoughts.
Food and Cooking Tips Blogs
Wine is fun, but food is even more universal. Not everyone drinks wine, but everyone eats. Here’s how to enjoy cooking and eating more.
- Simply Recipes – Lots or recipes broken down by category. Also features cooking tips, like how to soften butter.
- Food and Health – Really cool recipes, food advice, and tutorials with photos on how to prepare certain recipes.
- Joys Thai Food – If you are a Thai food lover, this site includes everything Thai, from recipes to ingredients and history.
- 101 Cookbooks – Full of recipes and photos of mostly vegetarian or healthy dishes.
- Blue Kitchen – Good resource site for both beginner and advanced cooks with a wide range of foods, recipes, and tools.
- 80 Breakfasts – Dealing mainly with breakfasts recipes, this site has stuff from the ordinary morning meal to a bit more unusual.
- Cooking With Amy – A culinary writer offers food tips, restaurant reviews, event news, and other cooking advice.
- The Orlando Sentinel Food Blog – Restaurant news and food news.
- Culinary School of the Rockies Blog – When the chefs in training at the Culinary School of the Rockies aren’t in class, they’re providing cooking tips in this blog.
Gardening Tips Blogs
Gardening is one of those activities that pays multiple dividends in multiple ways. Gardening is a great way to be more active and get more fresh air and sunshine, which is good for your health. And if you’re growing fruits and vegetables, then you’re eating fruits and vegetables.
- Sustainable Gardening Blog – Lots of information about gardening tips, tools, types of gardens. Winner of the Best Organic Gardening Blog.
- Guerilla Gardening – For people who replace trashy and neglected urban areas with gardens.
- The Gardening Blog – Posts entries from other popular gardening blogs, thus covering a wide range of topics.
- My Houston Gardenspot – Site run by a former school teacher who shares her gardening tips and experience. Focused somewhat on Houston, Texas gardening.
- I Heart Gardening – This information site on plants and gardening has a blog section where anyone can sign up for and post articles.
- Garden Views – Personal reflections on gardening. This one’s been online for a long time and has a huge archive.
- The Garden Central – Recent updates include how to grow wild flowers and exotic flowers.
- Home Gardening Tips – Bill Stanley provides advice on how to grow flowers and organic vegetables.
- Gardening Tips & Ideas – Tips and advice for gardeners at all levels of experience, from beginner to expert.
- Weekend Gardener – A monthly web magazine with advice and tips for gardeners.
If you enjoyed this article, please bookmark it at del.icio.us »
This entry was posted on Thursday, March 26th, 2009 at 9:55 am and is filed under Beauty, Cars, Health, Internet, Love, Money, Wine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.