How Much Should I Sell My Car For?

Selling your car and knowing how much to ask for it can be pretty tricky. There are so many factors involved and many times, an accurate appraisal can be vague. Some people may think your car is worth less than you are asking. Others may actually think it is worth more. Figuring out how much I should sell my car for takes a little research and a bit of honesty. You can’t advertise a car with high mileage as in excellent condition. You also need to know if the car’s options add any value to it. Another factor you should consider is where to sell your car.

As you consider how much I should sell my car for, there is one source that can give you a close estimate. Kelly’s Blue Book has been around for a long time and has listings for just about every car ever made from the past 50 years. You can find it in a book format or you can go online to kbb.com and enter in your car’s information to get the blue book price. This doesn’t mean this is the price you have to ask for. You can raise it or lower it as you see fit. If you want to figure out how much I should sell my car for, there are some questions you should consider asking yourself.

How Many Miles Does It Have On It?

A car’s mileage is going to affect the price of your car. If the car was one of those that was kept in the garage and only driven on weekends, then it is likely only going to have few miles and the price should be higher than the blue book value. If the car has a lot of miles on it, then you should consider lowering the price. If you ask yourself why, then think about this. Even if you have taken good care of the engine and changed the oil regularly, there is still going to be wear and tear on a lot of different parts that the new owner will probably have to replace.

Is It In Good Condition?

car-sell-priceWhen trying to estimate how much I should sell my car for, you really need to be honest with yourself about the car’s condition. Are there any dents, scrapes, or cracks in the body? Is the paint chipped? Are the seats clean and free of stains? How does the interior carpet look? Does the engine run smoothly or not? Are there any cracks in the windshield? These are just some of the questions to ask yourself when estimating the price of the car.

Is It A Collector’s Car?

Collector cars generally bring a lot more than your average used car. Collector cars are prized by certain collectors for their classic style and their uniqueness. If your car is a classic, even if it is not in excellent shape, it can still bring a larger sum than if it was just an old junker. Get on the web and check out what some other collector cars are bringing.

The drawback to having a collector’s car that you are trying to sell is that the buyer’s market is smaller. In other words, there are fewer buyers for classic collector cars so you may have a longer wait as you try to sell it.

What Are Cars Similar To Yours In The Area Bringing?

Once you have checked the blue book value and considered the condition of the car, you should see what other cars that are similar to yours are bringing within your area. You can check out the local newspapers, shoppers, or even go online to websites like AutoTrader.com. It is true that you can get a better price in different areas, depending on the competition. If you happen to live in an area that has a lot of used cars exactly like yours, you may have to lower your price in order to sell it. However, if you live in an area that has few cars like yours and there are some interested buyers, then you can ask for a higher price.

How Long Should I Wait Before Lowering My Car Price?

This is a tough question because it all depends on how patient you are. You can’t expect a car to immediately sell once it hits the market. It does happen occasionally but not often. Usually, most sellers can expect to wait anywhere from two weeks to two months to sell their car. If you get tired of waiting and haven’t had any serious offers, then you might consider lowering the price.