Food Questions & Answers

To many people food is an important aspect of their culture and heritage which is why so many of our readers are always looking for food tips and food advice. The purpose of our “Food Questions & Answers” section is to provide answers to all your food related questions and to share those bits of culture that so many of us tend to enjoy.

We’re always looking for feedback from our readers, if you have a question you would like answered please send us an email to questions [at] askdeb.com.

Food Advice

The articles listed below contain food advice you may find helpful. We’re always updating this section so please check back often.

Recent Food Related Blog Posts

The following are recent food related blog post we feel are relevant to our readers.

food-questions-answers

Has There Been an Increase in Food Recalls?

There has been a steady rise in product recalls in the past ten years. There were 467 product recalls in 2006, which is up from 128 in 2002 and as little as 38 in 1993.

Where Can I Get Organic Food Online?

If you have recently decided to switch to organic foods, you may want to consider the convenience of ordering over the internet. Many organic food stores online offer a great selection and some retailers help you find the best price too.

What Are Brain Foods?

Brain foods consist mainly of fruits and vegetables containing nutrients that are good for brain function.  The brain is a complex organ that has special nutritional needs.

What is Organic Baby Food?

Organic baby food must adhere to strict guidelines to be labeled as such. The USDA requires at least 95% of the ingredients in this kind of baby food to be made without antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, irradiation or bioengineering.

What is the Gluten Free Diet?

A gluten-free diet eliminates the protein gluten, a compound found in bread, pasta and other foods. Those with gluten sensitivity or celiac disease, the most severe form of gluten sensitivity, may experience weight gain.

What Are Some Gluten Free Recipes?

Wheat, rye and barley all contain a protein called gluten. This protein can cause problems for some people, particular those with gluten intolerance. Some people are so vulnerable to this substance that it can make them very ill and damage the intestines.

What Are The Best Gluten Free Products?

Gluten free products are important to anyone with sensitivity to wheat or with the worst form of this disorder, celiac disease. These products are also becoming important for many others who are concerned about potential, less obvious negative effects of wheat consumption.

What Is The Food Pyramid?

When it comes to food, healthy choices and eating right are important. To help you in your daily decisions, the U.S. Department of Agriculture created the Food Pyramid.

How To Make Beer

Maybe you want to know how to make beer because you have a fussy palette. Maybe you just want to try out a new hobby. Whatever the reason, making beer requires some planning and preparation.

How do I Plan a Menu for a BBQ?

With summer right around the corner it is time to break out the grill and invite some friends over for a tasty BBQ. But while you eat hot dogs and burgers, your friends may not. So what do you do?

How to Brine a Turkey?

There are many methods when it comes to cooking a turkey. You can roast it in the oven, fry it, or you can brine it. For those of you that do not know, brining is a process where two reactions take place.

What Is Extra Virgin Olive Oil?

Open up a recipe book, or turn on a television cooking show, and you’re likely to hear the words “extra virgin olive oil” more than a handful of times.

How Do You Make Guacamole?

I’m something of an amateur chef. Whenever there’s a dinner party, a sports event, or just a friendly gathering, I’m the guy that everyone begs to bring one thing and one thing only — wine and guacamole.

How Can I Buy Green Mountain Coffee?

Coffee is a delicious and often required way to wake up in the morning. There is nothing like the aroma, the taste, and the feel of that warm cup to get you going.

How Do I Get Coffee Beans Direct At The Best Price?

Coffee can be a decadent luxury that is highly addictive. Every coffee connoisseur knows this. There is nothing like the smell or the taste to wake you up and prepare you for the day.

What Are Some Good Diabetic Foods?

Diabetes is a debilitating disease that if not treated properly can take control of your life. If you have diabetes then you will face limitations on what you can eat but that does not mean that you can’t enjoy the foods that you do eat.

How Much Should You Tip For Food Delivery?

This is always a confusing one for me. I never know approximately how much to tip a food delivery person. I know that they are usually (but not always) just the delivery guy.

Where Can I Order Chocolate Gifts For Valentines Day?

Chocolate is as much a part of Valentine’s Day as roses and hearts. It has always been associated with that important day of romance. It comes from the common belief that chocolate is an aphrodisiac.

Who Is Coffee For Less?

You can find some pretty good coffees in a lot of offices and restaurants these days. Your options of flavors have definitely greatly improved from the days where you could only get a cup of black dry roast or instant coffee.

What Is The Raw Food Diet?

There are a lot of diets and lifestyles out there on the market. You can try shakes, protein bars, low carbs, no carbs, veggies only, and teenie-tiny pre-packaged meals (just to name a few).

What Is Healthy Food?

I love junk food. All those deliciously sticky sweets that are loaded with sugars and calories are so tempting. But let’s be honest. They are not the best of foods.

What Are Some Good Diet Foods?

People spend much of their time trying to either lose weight or keep the weight off. The best solution is diet and exercise. But come on; no one likes being on a diet.

What Is The Most Perfect Food?

Everyone has their own idea of what makes the most perfect food. After all, everyone’s tastes are different.

What Is Organic Food?

There has been a big movement in the organic food industry in the recent years. It seems as more people ‘go green’ there has been a preference for organic food.

Where Can I Buy Organic Food?

With the general populace becoming more environmentally and health conscious, a lot of consumers are opting for organic and naturally-grown food.

What Makes A Food A Gourmet Food?

Anyone who likes to tinker away in the kitchen wants to be a gourmet cook. You want to be able to craft together something special with wonderful flavors that set it apart from lesser dishes (i.e.: all the regular stuff).

How Can I Start A Gourmet Food Business?

Food is big business. People spend more on food annually than any other expenses. This includes shopping at the grocery store to eating out. Let’s face it. People love to eat and they love to eat good food.

How many tablespoons are there in a cup?

To answer your question: there are 16 tablespoons in a cup. I’ve also listed this handy conversion chart for your convenience.

Measure Tsp Tbsp Fluid Oz Cup Pint Quart Gallon
1 Teaspoon 1 1/3 1/6
1 Tablespoon 3 1 1/2 1/16
1 Fluid Ounce 6 2 1 1/8 1/16
1 Cup 48 16 8 1 1/8 1/4 1/16
1 Pint 96 32 16 2 1 1/2 1/8
1 Quart 192 64 32 4 2 1 1/4
1 Gallong 768 256 128 16 8 4 1

What are the equivalencies between small, medium, large, and jumbo eggs?

Technically, eggs should be measured by weight as they vary even when sorted by size. When a recipe calls for an egg, it is assumed that you are using a large egg, which is about two ounces. The yolk of a 2-ounce egg is about 1 tablespoon plus a teaspoon; the white, about 2 tablespoons. Two large eggs give you a little under a half a cup, but it takes three medium eggs to fill a half a cup.

Eggs, Hen, jumbo, whole to make about 1 cup use four eggs
Eggs, Hen, large, whole to make about 1 cup use five eggs
Eggs, Hen, medium, whole to make about 1 cup use six eggs
Eggs, Hen, small, whole to make about 1 cup use seven eggs

I used Joy of Cooking (one of my favorite cookbooks) to research your question.

Is there really a cheese called Wensleydale? I heard it mentioned on a very funny bit by Monty Python, called “The Cheese Shop”.

Yes, Wensleydale is an English cheese produced in Cheshire. Traditionally blue, but today is usually a creamy white, crumbly cheese with a fine curd. Click here to view “The Cheese Shop”.