How to Get Rid of Pimples Overnight
You’ve got a big date on Saturday–it’s Friday night and you’ve got a giant volcano of a pimple on your face. What to do?
Thankfully, you’re not the first person in the world to have to deal with a problem pimple in less than twenty-four hours. Follow this simple plan to get rid of your pimples while you snooze.
1. Wash your face with an acne soap. Use the soap of your choice, something like Clearasil. For people with really oily skin, two washes may work better. Be careful when it is time to dry your face–you want to dab the water off, not rub it. The rubbing can irritate your skin.
2. Use an ice pack on your face. You should prepare this ice pack as much in advance as you can. In fact, it is a good idea to keep one in your freezer at all times for just such an
occasion. To make your zit-zapping ice pack, you need a “zip lock” style plastic bag, a thin towel, a thin sheet of aluminum foil, and some ice cubes. Crushed ice works best because of the increased surface area, but any ice will do.
Building Your Ice Pack
Place crushed ice inside the aluminum foil and seal it very well. You “seal” the foil by pinching the edges together. This keeps the ice cold so it doesn’t all melt away. Now place this foil contraption inside the zip lock bag. You want this ice pack to be as cold as possible.
Wrap your zip lock bag/foil ice pack inside a thin hand towel. This protects your face from the ultra-cold ice pack. Place this whole thing in the freezer for a few hours before you plan on applying it for even more healing.
3. After you wash your face, place the ice pack on the specific area where the pimple is. This is a targeted attack–the foil should allow you to form the ice pack into a “mold” that can be shaped and fitted to the part of your face that is affected. Some people make a giant foil ice pack and place it on their whole face as a preventative measure against acne, but you don’t have to do this for a single problem pimple.
4. No matter how cold it feels, you need to hold the ice pack on the pimple for at least 10 minutes. There’s science behind this–your pores “freeze” and shut, forcing out oil and dirt that led to the pimple.
5. After you freeze the pimple, use a medicated cleanser like Noxzema on your entire face–this is done in case any oil from the pimple leaked out and is already forming another. Your pimple should already appear smaller.
6. Be sure to dab with a towel instead of rub your face dry.
7. Use more of your medicated acne cream of choice–the cream will absorb any excess oil that leaked out when your pores closed. It will also medicate and help your skin to heal.
8. For best results, perform this whole treatment again in four hours. Ideally, you should do this two or three times. If you want, you can keep your medicated acne cream on your face overnight to prevent the oil from building up again.