Who Sang This Song or Who Wrote That Music?

Occasionally, readers here at AskDeb will write in asking for information on who wrote a song, who sang some popular song of the past or even what a particular song someone heard once was. Sometimes, these are some of the hardest questions we get, because the information we have to go on isn’t much and someone else has already scoured the internet for that information. When I get those questions, I feel like I might as well turn them into a page of material.

So here are three questions about music we had recently. One is about who composed a song. Another is about who sang a hit song that was popular in the 1990’s. A third asked what a song on a tv show episode was and who sang that song. Each became minor mysteries for me to solve, though it was enjoyable to track down that information. So here’s the answers and hope we get plenty of more music questions (we can solve) in the future.

Who Sang This Song or Wrote This Music – Plumb

“What was the slow song in the Mamma’s Boys finale on NBC?”

You might look into “In My Arms” by the singer Plumb, from her 2007 album, Blink. “Plumb” is the stage name of Tiffany Lee, a Contemporary Christian singer who could also be grouped in the Christian alternative rock or simply alternative rock category. Tiffany has released 6 albums (1 a “Best of…”) under the name Plumb, though the first two of these were with a band of the same name. Therefore, her albums “Beautiful Lumps of Coal”, “Chaotic Resolve” and “Blink” are solo albums for Tiffany Lee. The name “Plumb” was chosen for Tiffany Lee’s band in the 1990’s, and took its inspiration from the song “My Favorite Plum” by Suzanne Vega.

“In My Arms” is the third track on the Blink album and achieved serious airplay. The song has also been remixed by Bimbo Jones, Scotty K, Gomi, Bronleewe & Bose and Kaskade.

Besides producing her own albums, Tiffany Lee has written songs for other female artists, such as Mandy Moore, Michelle Branch and Kimberley Locke. Two songs from the “candycoatedwaterdrops” were later hits for other singers: “Stranded” for Jennifer Paige and “Damaged” for Plummet. If you want an extra tip on the Plummet cover, I would recommend the “ATB & George Acosta remix” of “Damaged”, but only if you enjoy trance music. It’s my favorite version of the song.

Tiffany Lee has also produced music for film soundtracks ranging from Brokedown Palace to Bruce Almighty, as well as tv series like Dawson’s Creek, One Tree Hill and ER. The song “In My Arms” definitely was featured in the 6th and final episode of “Mamma’s Boys” on NBC. It’s a slower song with a strong female vocal, so hopefully that’s the song you’ve been thinking about.

Who Sang This Song or Wrote That Music – Carol Kennedy-Dawson

“Hello, I’m looking for the composer to the violin music called Red Carpet Waltz plus also looking for a copy of sheet music of it. I hope you can help me.”

who-sang-wroteRed Carpet Waltz was written by Carol Kennedy of Glengarry, Ontario. Carol is also known as Carol-Kennedy Dawson and Carol Dawson. As recently as 1998, Carol and her husband owned a music store in Pembroke.

Carol Kennedy at one time played piano for two different Canadian fiddle players (Johnny Mooring and Graham Townsend) and one bio suggests that she has performed in “Nashville, South America, Australia and Europe”. Below is a video of Graham Townsend playing fiddle and “Carol Dawson” playing piano, and she even posts in the thread, saying she is married to Peter Dawson, who is himself a Canadian fiddle player.

If you’re looking for fiddle sheet music and “ca” stands for Canada, you probably already know who most of these people are already, but they are new to me, so I included the info.

I wasn’t able to find the sheet music for “Red Carpet Waltz” right away, but you might search any of these sites for a copy. I’ve seen the song referred to simply as “Red Carpet” in my research, so you might search under that song title, too, as well as all three versions of Carol’s name.

“Red Carpet Waltz” is still being played by fiddlers, as this question suggests. Teenage Canadian fiddle player, Sierra Noble, included the song on her 2005 album, “Spirit of the Strings”.

Who Sang This Song or Wrote That Music – New Radicals

“Hi,

I have searched for hours trying to find an artist name and song title. It was a 1990’s band I believe that sang an uplifting POP song. The lead singer was a guy and he had a few other members in the group (all early twenties). I believe they only had one hit and then the lead singer left and had little success on his own. I also believe the video of the hit song may have been filmed in a bowling alley or maybe a mall.

I remember the song saying things like you are a star or a superstar, but I could be wrong. A similar song was Smash Mouth’s All Star.”

The answer is the New Radicals and their 1999 hit song, “You Get What You Give”. The New Radicals got huge buzz when “You Get What You Give” became a hit, because it was an uplifting sounding song on the eve of the Y2K. U2’s Edge was quoted saying it was the one song he wished he had written. Ice T said the song was a non-hip-hop song he was listening to at the time.

Gregg Alexander was the lead singer of New Radicals, and was in effect the band. Most other members came and went on a rotating basis, and Gregg Alexander was the constant who wrote and sang the songs. He was involved in controversy stemming from the song, because the last stanza of “You Get What You Give” criticized Beck, Britney Spears, Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson as pretenders living in “mansions”. Gregg Alexander later claimed he intentionally inserted those lyrics as an experiment, to see if they media would focus on the political lyrics at the beginning of the song, or the throwaway celebrity nonsense at the end. He also apologized to Beck for his inclusion, while Marilyn Manson quipped that he wasn’t mad he was criticized, but that he was included in a line with Courtney Love.

Despite making a stir with their first single, The New Radicals were gone as soon as they arrived. Gregg Alexander announced the band had broke up even before the second single was released, saying he had done everything in the pop music industry he had wanted to do and that he didn’t want a life on the road with 3 hours of sleep a night and promoting oneself for the sake of the record labels. The New Radicals are now viewed as a one-hit wonder, but they never really had a chance to see if they could have matched their initial success. Some argue Gregg Alexander was afraid of his success, while others reply he was not afraid to walk away from fame and fortune. Either way, “You Get What You Give” brought a lot of people joy for a short period of their lives, and the hit tune was one of the quintessential songs of 1999 and America on the brink of the new millennium.