Founded in 1936, Government Employees Insurance Company, otherwise known as GEICO, is one of the most popular insurance companies in the country, thanks to their great rates and memorable ad campaigns. Leo and Lillian Goodwin set out to provide federal government employees as well as their families with insurance. Such an audience was targeted because it was assumed they would be a less risky group. Today, GEICO is known as the company to turn to for affordable coverage regardless if you’re a federal government employee or not.
History of GEICO
Despite the company starting as a very small, private organization, it grew faster than anyone could have ever anticipated. By 1948, Lorimer Davidson, an investment banker helped expansion by joining the company and by 1964, they had already exceeded 1 million policyholders. In 1980, GEICO introduced their 24-hour telephone customer service they are so well-known for and by the year 2000, everyone’s favorite gecko had joined the team to participate in their ad campaigns.
Of course, who could forget the GEICO Cavemen campaign convincing viewers just how easy it was to get free car insurance quotes. At the end of 2010, GEICO had more than 10 million policyholders! All this from a kind couple who started a small business for themselves.
Types of Insurance Providers – Rates and Coverage
About the only thing the GEICO website doesn’t provide is health insurance quotes online but they certainly cover everything else. Aside from your automobiles, below are other types of insurance GEICO can help you out with.
- Motorcycles – Regardless if you have a standard, cruiser, sport bike, touring bike or one that’s custom made, they take motorcycle coverage seriously. They even have scooter insurance available.
- Boat – Whether your boat is in the water, at dock or on your trailer, you want quality insurance. GEICO even has winter lay-up available for dry dock season.
- ATV – GEICO offers flex payments and online claim reporting to keep your trail riding fun, safe and affordable.
- RV – Campers, travel trailers and motor homes fall under this category too. You can get a discount on your rate if your automobile is also insured with them and you have completed a recent defensive driver course.
- Homeowners – Your home is worth protecting. GEICO offers a large variety of policies to fill the needs of anyone.
- Renters – Just because you don’t own a home doesn’t mean you don’t have to protect your personal belongings.
- Mobile Home – These policies are similar to homeowner insurance but GEICO customizes them specifically for the needs of mobile homes.
- Life Insurance – Making sure your family is financially secure should something happen to you, is one of GEICO’s specialties.
- Flood Insurance – It is proven time and time again that anyone can deal with flood damage. GEICO keeps this coverage affordable for you.
- Overseas Insurance – Regardless if you are moving or vacationing overseas, GEICO eliminates the hassle of getting your vehicle or property insured.
- Commercial Auto Insurance – GEICO takes the guesswork and frustration out of buying commercial auto insurance and they allow you to manage your account 24/7.
- Identity Theft – Maybe you aren’t even aware that this type of coverage exists but GEICO understands the importance of being protected and even provides six credit reports per year.
GEICO is a company who has gotten where they are today because of great coverage, affordable rates and exceptional customer service. They take the confusion and anxiety out of buying any type of insurance by making their policies easy to understand.
About the Author
Laura Penekamp is a stay at home mom with three wonderful kids who are now finally all old enough for a full day of school. She is a freelance writer and now that she has a quiet house during the day, has become quite productive. Laura loves to save money and has learned through the years how to understand insurance policies to ensure she’s not paying for something she doesn’t need.
- Who Invented Car Insurance?
- Motorcycle Insurance Costs
- Is It Illegal to Drive without Car Insurance?
- Buying Car Insurance
- Online Auto Insurance
- Fastest Motorcycle in the World
- Cheap Car Insurance