How Can I Download Movies And Videos For My iPod?

A question I’m commonly asked by movie fans on the go is, “How can I download movies and videos for my iPod?”. Anyone who owns an iPod knows how handy it is to be able to have portable movies and videos right at your fingertip. And when you want to show your friends the latest top movies, you don’t have to wait until you’re near a PC or DVD player.

Downloading Videos To An iPod

When answering the question, “How can I download movies and videos for my iPod?,” I always like to start by discussing video downloads . In the following explanation, I have included instructions for downloading videos using both iTunes 7.0 and iTunes 6.0 or earlier.

Downloading Videos with iTunes 7.0

To begin with, you’ll need to find a video to download. A good place to search is on Google Video.

• Once you’ve found a video you like, you’ll need to click on the “Download video – iPod/PSP” link. This is located on the right side of the desired video. You will not be able to download the video without clicking on this option.
  • Next, save the video onto your computer. Then connect your iPod player to your computer and open up the iTunes 7.0 application.
  • Once iTunes is open, select the option labeled “File” >“Add File to Library.” You’ll then be able to choose from any video downloaded onto your computer. Select the video you recently downloaded and click on “Open.”
  • Once this has been accomplished, click on the “Movies” tab, check the “Sync Movies” box, and then click on “Apply.” Your video should now begin downloading to your iPod. Pretty simple, right?

Downloading Movies to Your iPod Using iTunes 6.0

download-movies-ipod

Many of the steps are the same when it comes to downloading movies to your iPod using iTunes 6.0 software. Things start to get a bit different once you’ve hooked up your iPod and opened your version of iTunes.

• Select “File” > “Add File to Library” and the find the video you wish to download. Once you find it, click “Open.”
  • Next, select “Edit” > “Preferences” > “iPod” > “Videos” > “Automatically update all videos.” When each of these steps has been completed, click on the “OK” button.
  • This final step listed above will allow your version of iTunes to copy the video straight to your iPod. Once this has occurred, you can play your video anytime you wish by selecting “Videos” > “Movies.”

Downloading Movies To An iPod

Now that I’ve partially answered, “How can I download movies and videos for my iPod?”, let’s finish the discussion by focusing on downloading movies. The two most common options are:

1. First, go out and purchase the DVD that you want to download to your iPod. You’ll then need to rip the DVD onto your computer (which will require additional hardware and software). Next, the movie will need to be converted to a format recognized by your iPod. Once this has been done, you can transfer the movie to your iPod just like you would a video.
  2. The second option involves joining an online service which allows you to purchase movies, television shows, sporting events, music and photos already converted into the iPod format. This is much faster than the above option, and it’s also cheaper.

Three of the most recognized services which enable you to download movies are:

• FeedMyiPods.com – No per download fees. More than 95 million files to choose from.
  • iPodDownloadsPro.com
  • iPodNetDownloads.com – Download movies and get software to transfer DVDs to your iPod. You can also download music, TV shows and music videos.

See Also: