Where Can I Find Reviews of Current Movies?

I love to watch movies, but I also like to have a little information about them before I commit a few hours of my life. Is the script supposed to be solid? Have I heard of any of the actors or actresses in the film? For this reason, I sometimes find myself asking, “Where can I find reviews of current movies?”.

Online Movie Review Sites

Keep in mind that not all online movie review sites are created equal. Whether they deal with family movie reviews or top movie reviews, many sites feature less-than-impressive writing, while others use words that the average person would need a dictionary to understand. Still others seem to gush about every fanboy flick that comes down the pipe.

Movie Review Web Sites

The following list is my attempt to answer the question, “Where can I find reviews of current movies?”. You might like some of these movie review web sites, and you might hate others. My only suggestion is to find one you can relate to and stick with it. Just like with a physician, it’s important to trust your favorite movie critic.

reviews-current-movies

Rotten Tomatoes – This site collects movie reviews from various online and newspaper movie critics and groups them all together. It also calculates who liked the movie and who didn’t, allowing the site to assign each film a freshness rating. The higher the rating (on a scale of 0 to 100), the “fresher” the film. The lower the rating, the more “rotten” the product.

If you like to read the opinions of lesser-known movie critics, Rotten Tomatoes has plenty available. They also feature movie reviews from such impressive names as Roger Ebert, Harry Knowles and James Berardinelli. In the case of Hollywood blockbusters, you can literally find hundreds of reviews per film to choose from.

The site also features upcoming movie trailers, forums, movie news and much, much more. Rotten Tomatoes is like one-stop-shopping when it comes to the movie industry.

RogerEbert.com – The best-known movie critic in the country, Roger Ebert certainly answers the question, “Where can I find reviews of current movies?”. He’s authored many movie review books (as well as writing for the Chicago Sun-Times for years), and visitors to his website will be treated to reviews of all the latest films.

If you have a short attention span, you’ll want to check out his “One-Minute Movie Reviews.” These are much shorter versions of his normal reviews, allowing you to get to the heart of the matter in far less than a minute.

Movie Review Query Engine (mrqe.com) – This movie review site compiles reviews from critics all across the globe and makes them available in a no-frills format. You can read reviews on today’s top movies, or you can search through their database for older movie reviews. Either way, you’ll find an impressive number of movie reviews to choose from.

For example, let’s look at the movies which released on January 16th, 2009. MRQE included the following: Defiance (136 reviews), Hotel for Dogs (84 reviews), Last Chance Harvey (92 reviews), My Bloody Valentine (86 reviews), Paul Blart: Mall Cop (85 reviews) and Notorious (106 reviews).

US Conference of Catholic Bishops (usccb.org/movies/) – If you’re looking for some spiritual guidance to help you choose the right movie, why not check out the movie reviews from the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops? Movies are given a rating based on their moral suitability and artistic merit, and a short synopsis is provided for each film. If you’re the type of viewer who loves nudity and gore, don’t even bother looking at this site.

FilmCritic.com – Features reviews for new release movies and those just released on DVD or Blu-ray. A large archive of over 8,000 older reviews is also available. In addition, the site features Top-10 lists, reports from film festivals, articles and quizzes. This is a solid movie review site which is easy to navigate (something which is becoming increasingly rare).

See Also: