Who Sang That Song?

People write to AskDeb.com all the time asking questions like this:

• Who sang that song…?
  • Who sang this song…?
  • Who sings…?

This page collects all of the “who sang that song” and “who sings that song” questions on one page, along with the answers to those questions. So if you’re wondering who sings (fill in the blank here), this is the place to find out.

Who Sang That Song “I Want You To Want Me”?

Cheap Trick sang the song “I Want You To Want Me”. The song was featured on Cheap Trick’s 2nd album, In Color, which was released in 1977. In 1979, a live version of the song “I Want You To Want Me” hit #7 on the Billboard charts. The song was on the charts for 19 weeks. “I Want You To Want Me” has been covered by artists including Dwight Yoakam, Chris Isaak, and Lindsay Lohan.

Who Sang This Song “It’s The Time of the Season”?

The Zombies originally sang the song “Time Of The Season”. (“It’s the Time of the Season” is a quote from the chorus of the song, but the actual title of the song is a little bit shorter.) “Time of the Season” was a hit in 1968, reaching #3 on the Billboard charts. “Time of the Season” has been covered by artists like Ben Taylor (James Taylor’s son), the Dave Matthews Band, and rap star Necro. The song has also been featured in various movies and tv shows, including Friends, The Simpsons, and South Park.

Who Sings The Song “One Less Man”?

sang-that-songThe name of the song is actually not “One Less Man”. The title is actually “One Less Bell To Answer”, and The Fifth Dimension sang the song. (Marilyn McCoo was the lead singer on the song “One Less Bell To Answer”. The song reached #2 on the Billboard charts, and it was later covered by Dionne Warwick. “One Less Bell To Answer” was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David.

Who Sang “Heard It In A Love Song”?

The Marshall Tucker Band sang “Heard It In A Love Song” in 1977. It was their most successful song, reaching #14 on the Billboard charts. Mark Chesnutt also covered “Heard It In A Love Song” and used the name of the song as the title for an album.

Who Sang “Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy”?

Sonia sang “Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy” in 1991. The song hit #22 on the British Singles Chart.

Who Sang “Hold Me”?

“Hold Me” is a pop song from 1933 that was originally sung by Little Jack Little. Various artists have covered the song “Hold Me” since then, including:

• Ann Margret
  • Eddy Arnold
  • Frankie Avalon
  • Peggy Lee
  • Dean Martin

Who Sang “Listen To Your Heart”?

The Swedish pop duo Roxette sang “Listen To Your Heart”. The song was #1 on the Billboard chart in 1989. The Belgian dance group D.H.T. also sang the song in 2005.

Who Sang The Song “I Thank You”?

Sam and Dave sang the song “I Thank You” in 1968. (The song was co-written by Isaac Hayes.) In 1979, ZZ Top also recorded the song “I Thank You”.

Who Sang This Song: “You Just Keep Me Hanging On”?

The Supremes sang the song “You Keep Me Hangin’ On” in 1966. (Diana Ross was the lead vocalist.) The song was #1 on the Billboard charts for 2 weeks. The song has been covered by Wilson Pickett, Rod Stewart, and Reba McEntire.

Who Sang Listen To Your Heart?

It was one of those types of song that encompassed everything about the 80’s. From the beat to the heavy keyboards, “Listen To Your Heart” was a hit song in the United States. It is also one of those few songs from that era that still gets air time. Every time I hear it, I get taken right back to high school (yeah, I am that old). So who sang this song? It was a small duo from Sweden called Roxette.

The Band

Roxette was a Swedish pop duo that officially formed in 1986. The two members, Per Gessle and Marie Fredriksson, were originally part of a bigger band called Gyllene Tider. Before that, Fredriksson was with a band called MaMa’s Barn. She later joined Gyllene Tider as a back-up singer.

While popular in their native Sweden (they had won an award for Best Swedish Group in 1982) they still wanted to tap into the American market. Gyllene Tider released their first English-speaking album in 1984 called Heartland Café. The album was released due to interest from Capitol Records, the American label for EMI.

After the album’s release, Capitol took six of the eleven tracks and re-released them as an extended play version in the U.S. However, the group’s Swedish name was deemed not marketable in the U.S. Capitol wanted something audiences could easily remember. The band decided on the name ‘Roxette’ after a 1975 Dr. Feelgood song.

Due to poor performance of Heartland in the U.S., Gyllene Tider soon broke up and Gessle and Fredriksson took up solo careers. However, in 1986, at the advice of their record companies, the two teamed up and released an English-language single, “Neverending Love”. They called themselves Roxette and the song broke into the Swedish Top 10.

Roxette has released numerous albums over their successful career. They include:

• Pearls of Passion (1986)
  • Look Sharp! (1988)
  • Joyride (1991)
  • Tourism (1992)
  • Crash!Boom!Bang! (1994)
  • Baladas in Espanol (1996)
  • Have A Nice Day (1999)
  • Room Service (2001)

One of Roxette’s biggest hits was the song “It Must Have Been Love” which was used in the soundtrack for the movie Pretty Woman starring Richard Gere and Julia Roberts.

The Song

“Listen To Your Heart” was from the album Look Sharp! and was the third single released by the band in the U.S. It was written by member Per Gessle along with help from Mats M.P. Persson. It was chosen as a single in Sweden and the U.S. because Gessle and EMI wanted to showcase Fredriksson’s vocals.

The song hit #1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Singles and was an immediate success. Ironically, the band never imagined that it would reach that peak in the U.S. because it was written for Swedish audiences. Gessle has stated that the song was Roxette trying to re-create the American FM-Rock band sound and really going overboard with it.

When the video was shot for the song, the location was the ruins of Borgholm Castle on the isle of Oland on the Baltic Sea. The crew was American and at first thought the castle was just a set built specifically for the video.

In 2006, the song “Listen To Your Heart” had been played 3 million times on American radio.

Who Sang that Song from the 90′s?

Hi,

I am trying really hard to find this song from the 90′s and its not working. I don’t remember a lot about the song at all. They played it on “Mix 107.7″ which is Dayton, OH I believe. I feel like it had “heart” in the title of the song. Maybe 90′s was in the name of the band. It was a really long band name. I watched the video on you tube and I just totally can’t remember what it is now. Please help me. I know I didn’t say a whole lot but ummm…..it’s an awesome song when i find it.

Dear Mix 107.7 Listener,

That’s a stumper, there. I haven’t been able to find a whole lot of groups with “90′s” or “Nineties” in the name that were actually active in the 1990′s. There was 98 Degrees (98°), which had a 1998 hit named “True To Your Heart”, that appeared on their album “98° and Rising” and also on the Mulan soundtrack. That song is likely to have been played on Mix 107.7, since the Mix played “Hot Adult Contemporary” from 1993 until the late-1990′s, then changed to a standard adult contemporary playlist moving ahead from the late-90′s until the present. Unfortunately, “98 Degrees” isn’t a very long group name.

There was a band named “Class of ’99″ that had a hit in 1999, but it was just a cover of the Pink Floyd song “Another Brick in the Wall” and was found on the soundtrack of the movie, The Faculty. The group in question was made up of stars from several grunge and alternative acts of the 1990′s, but the song certainly doesn’t fit what you wrote about the song and isn’t likely to have been played on 107.7.

If you’re looking for a long name from the 1990′s that had something similar to 90 in the title, you might think of “MC 900 Foot Jesus”. But MC 900 Foot Jesus never had a hit single with the word “heart” in it, and even if he did, it’s unlikely these songs would have been playing on a hot adult contemporary station.

So that’s a tough question to get an answer for. Write in again and tell us something about the video for the song and we might be able to find that answer for you.

Thanks,