Who Is Cristal Taylor?

Who is Cristal Taylor?

Cristal Taylor is the Dallas woman at the center of an off-court controversy for an NBA star. Dirk Nowitzki and Cristal Taylor had been living together in Nowitzki’s Preston Hollow home – until she was picked up by the Dallas police for two warrants stemming from a probation violation and a theft charge.

The Dallas Mavericks 30 year old forward has been a huge part of the Mavericks seasons, averaging 26 points and 8 rebounds on 37 minutes of play per game. There had been whispers late in the season about “off court” trouble for the seven foot tall German national – but it wasn’t until the morning of May 6 that the general public found out just what kind of trouble Nowitzki was having.

Apparently, Nowitzki’s relationship with Crystal Taylor has been an issue in the Mavericks locker room and with the Mavericks ownership for some time now. Multiple Dallas Mavericks sources spoke with the media on Thursday to say that “people within the organization cautioned Dirk Nowitzki about his relationship” with Cristal Taylor, who was arrested at the star forward’s home Wednesday morning as the Mavericks were flying back from a playoff loss at Denver. The team sources said Nowitzki’s “own suspicion” prompted him to question Cristal Taylor’s past – after all, Nowitzki was allowing Cristal Taylor to live in his 6 million dollar Preston Hollow home.

Rumors are flying in the Dallas media that Taylor is pregnant with Nowitzki’s child, and that the two were engaged to be married. So far, these sources remain “anonymous” and the pregnancy rumors, as well as the information about their supposed engagement, remains unverified.

Cristal Taylor’s legal troubles started years ago in Missouri. In early 1999, Cristal Taylor was in court to answer to charges that she intentionally passed bad checks in two St. Louis-area counties. She pled guilty to four counts, including forgery and theft, and was sentenced to five years of probation. After moving to Texas and transferring her probation to Texas authorities, Cristal Taylor was once again busted committing theft by check and stopped reporting to her probation officer. The State of Missouri issued a warrant for her arrest on a charge of violating her probation back in 2001, and she has been wanted by the police ever since.

It doesn’t end there. Cristal Taylor allegedly stole checks and credit cards, even using one of the stolen cards to secure thousands of dollars worth of dental work in Beaumont, Texas, a city near the Louisiana border. This led to a charge of “theft of service” in Jefferson County. It is still unclear whether Cristal Taylor faces further charges, as she is still being held in Dallas jail – there is no bail allowed on probation violations.

Cristal Taylor could be looking at prison time for violating the terms of her probation – and that would be just fine with the Dallas Mavericks organization as well as their fans. Much has been made of the controversy and its negative effect on Nowitzki’s play and concentration. Without Dirk Nowitzki, the Dallas Mavericks have little chance of coming back from the 2-0 playoff deficit against the Denver Nuggets.

While most Mavericks fans probably regard the timing of the arrest as a negative, with Dallas trailing Denver in a tough second-round playoff series, Mavericks team sources characterized the news and timing as “good.” Basically, the team saw Cristal Taylor as a divisive influence between Nowitzki and his teammates and even his family members.

Asked to make a comment on Thursday, Nowitzki had little to say about the controversy: “It’s pretty obvious that I’m going through a tough time in my personal life right now. Like I always have, I want to kind of keep my private life private. I really am not at the stage where I can talk about it yet and feel comfortable talking about it. I’m more than happy to answer basketball questions, but I think at this point, I just can’t talk about it.”