If you’re thinking of enrolling in a cosmetology program, you should probably be asking yourself, “Do beauty schools offer financial aid?”. While cosmetology schools aren’t as expensive as a four-year university, many people still have trouble coming up with several thousand dollars.
Beauty School Scholarships
Cosmetology schools in smaller cities may cost in the $6,000 range. Larger and more prestigious beauty schools, however, can cost in the range of $20,000. Regardless of which type you’re considering, a number of financial aid programs exists to assist you. These range from federal grants to beauty school scholarships set up specifically for cosmetology students.
Beauty School Grants & Loans
- Federal Work-Study – In this program, the student holds a part-time job in order to earn money for their education in the cosmetology field. The amount of money awarded to a student can be influenced by a number of factors. These include: the financial needs of the student, the funding level of the particular beauty school and the time of year in which the student applies.
- ACE Grant – These grants for cosmetology students are offered by the American Association of Cosmetology Students. They represent the first industry-wide push to ensure that highly qualified and motivated students have the necessary funding to obtain their cosmetology degree.
- Federal Pell Grant – Any student who is enrolled in an undergraduate program is eligible for this grant. These grants do not have to be repaid, and they are awarded based on the following factors: enrollment status, cost of attendance and family contribution.
- Federal Perkins Loan – Undergraduate, graduate and professional degree students are eligible for loan which must be paid off within 10 years. Undergraduate students can borrow up to $4,000 per year, for a total of $20,000.
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant – This grant provides cosmetology students (among others) with anywhere from $100 to $4,000 annually. This grant does not have to be repaid.
- National Coalition of Estheticians, Manufacturers / Distributors and Associations Esthetician Scholarship – Esthetician students who are attending an AACS school are eligible for this scholarship. Multiple $1,000 scholarships are awarded each year.
- Sports Clip Scholarship – Cosmetology students who attend an AACS school are eligible for this beauty school scholarship. 25 of these $1,000 scholarships are awarded each year. Only one cosmetology student from each school will be chosen to receive this annual scholarship.
- Diamond Beauty Products Scholarship – When asking, “Do beauty schools offer financial aid,” don’t forget about this annual cosmetology scholarship. Five $1,000 scholarships are awarded, and the recipients must attend an AACS member school.
- Massage Magazine – For students enrolled in a massage therapy program, five of these $1,000 scholarships are awarded each year.
- OPI Scholarships – Thirty $500 scholarships are awarded annually to cosmetology students or nail technicians enrolled in an AACA school. To be eligible, students must complete an essay and have an industry recommendation.
- Pat Goins Memorial Scholarship – This scholarship counts towards tuition, and five $1,000 scholarships are awarded each year to students of AACS schools.
- Westmore Academy of Cosmetic Arts Makeup Scholarship – Six $1,100 scholarships are offered annually to the 6-week Master Makeup Course at the Westmore Academy. Six $1,300 scholarships are also offered annually for the 12-week Makeup for Motion Picture & Television Beauty, Character & Effects Course.
- The Spa Foundation Scholarship – Students pursuing a career in the spa industry will be eligible for up to $9,000 in scholarships. The amount of each scholarship is based on the annual donations received by The Spa Foundation.
- American Specialty Health Scholarships – Twelve scholarships are offered annually to students who are studying various fields of complementary health. Message therapy students are also eligible.