If you’re thinking about creating a WordPress website then you’ve probably already thought about what theme or “skin” you want to use. But it’s important to understand that the theme controls more than just the appearance of your site. Depending on the theme you select, there may be limitations on what you can customize to get the full functionality that you desire.
Once you know how to set up WordPress website you’ll be anxious to get the site up and live as soon as you can. After all, that’s one of the most attractive features of the platform. But before you select a WordPress theme, take a deep breath and make sure you fully understand what you want your site to do as well as how you want it to look.
How to choose a WordPress theme
If you’re going to use your site strictly for blogging then its fair to say that every theme will give you the functionality and flexibility that you need. After all, WordPress was originally developed as a blogging platform.
But if your objective is to build a traditional website to represent your business then there are other considerations that come into play. For example:
- The more complex the design and functionality the more robust the theme has to be.
- The look and feel has to be that of a business not a personal blog. Check out your competition and see what themes they are using and if any look right for your business.
- Does the theme allow for growth? As you increase business will the theme be able to keep up with increased functionality? How can functionality be added? Can the theme be tweaked or is a major overhaul required?
- How flexible is the page layout? Can you have different formats on different pages or is it a one size fits all theme?
- Lastly, what kind of support is offered by the theme developer? If you have problems who can you turn to and how reliable are they?
The importance of picking the right WordPress theme for your needs
Picking a theme is a big deal because this will be the representation of your brand on the internet. Not only that, the theme you select will determine just how easy it will be to manage the site, innovate, expand functionality and maintain. Do your due diligence and see the theme that you are considering in action.
Here’s a hint. If you’re looking for WordPress themes for small business you probably will not find what you want in the free theme gallery provided by WordPress. There are a number of small business themes that have been developed that provide a customizable appearance, capacity for growth and the functionality that a business website will need. Most successful commercial WordPress websites have used a developer to come up with themes that meet the specific needs of the business.
Free WordPress themes are great for personal blogging and if that’s what you’re looking for by all means select one from the WordPress gallery. But if you’re counting on your website to generate revenue, either through direct sales or generating leads, it is well worth the investment to have a WordPress theme designed and developed to custom fit your business.
Don Campbell is a professional WordPress theme designer and developer. Don’s company has been successfully providing themes optimized for local search to small businesses across the United States and recently expanded the business to include Internet Marketing services and web presence assessment. Don calls the Silicon Valley in California home.